#AskDanWindows My 1520 is slowly dying. On which branch should I get the longest and best support?

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
#AskDanWindows My 1520 is slowly dying. On which branch should I get the longest and best support? The latest official Anniversary Update? (non-insider) Or the Creators Update? (Insider Release Preview)

You've explained how the CU gives better performance on 1520 but the last time I used the Insider program my Whatsapp and other 8.1 apps stopped working, which is simply unacceptable. I need confirmation that those apps still work on the CU release preview.

I'm not considering other platforms as long as Windows 10 Mobile is officially supported and if we're getting Mobile devices with Windows 10 on ARM soon then that's when I will finally buy a new device. (hopefully a Microsoft device or a new X3)

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If support (and presumably quality since you're replacing a 1520) is a major concern, then you only have one real option - The Lumia 950 or 950 XL. Yes, there is the Elite X3, but I'd wager there's a greater chance that HP would drop support for the X3 before Microsoft drops support for the 950. Plus, you can get a 950 and Mozo back cover for cheaper.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by HeyCori
If support (and presumably quality since you're replacing a 1520) is a major concern, then you only have one real option - The Lumia 950 or 950 XL. Yes, there is the Elite X3, but I'd wager there's a greater chance that HP would drop support for the X3 before Microsoft drops support for the 950. Plus, you can get a 950 and Mozo back cover for cheaper.

I'd rather wait to see what kind of devices we will get with Windows 10 ARM.

Tourniquet

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
When everything goes as it went before then you will get the longest support with the Anniversary Update aka RS1. While you can now get updates in the Release Preview ring, you won't get any further updates when RS3 will be in the Release Preview ring. There are however workarounds like registry hacking, aka change your device to a Lumia 950 XL and you will be getting regular updates even with the Creators Update and most likely even with RS3.

While there are still some bugs in RS2 right now, whatsapp and most other Windows Phone 8.1 works fine. Actually I never had any problems with an wp8.1 not working in Windows 10 Mobile.

If I were you I would of course use the creators update. It's the best Windows 10 Mobile version yet. In my opinion its a big update. RS2 gives you a lot of a fit and finish, like the new Wifi settings, the option to reset apps if they don't work, new data sense, bluetooth gap and a lot of performance and bugfixes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss