Nokia 1020 2014?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

Hey I was just wondering when the release date for the next generation of the 1020 will come out? I want to buy one, but its already 1 year old, and I think I can wait (but not for too long :p)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There is no word on a 1030.
Nope, zip.
I'd say Nokia's device turnover is longer than 1 year (they have the rest of the lineup to update, the 930 is just rolling out, the 920 came out 2012) as of now so you're probably going to be fine springing for the 1020 now.

However, while not a next gen 1020, there's still rumblings of another flagship in time for this holiday season.

I wouldn't expect a "1030" until next year, but this is all my conjecture, I don't have any insider info, so I could end up being completely wrong.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The cameras on the Lumia 1520 and Icon are also defined as powerful.

At the moment there is no processor that can handle shots of over 21 MP.

However Snapdragon 810 coming out next year will support upto 55 Megapixel cameras, so I believe that is when a new Lumia 1020 will come out.

McLaren will probably have a 20MP camera.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
The cameras on the Lumia 1520 and Icon are also defined as powerful.

At the moment there is no processor that can handle shots of over 21 MP.

However Snapdragon 810 coming out next year will support upto 55 Megapixel cameras, so I believe that is when a new Lumia 1020 will come out.

McLaren will probably have a 20MP camera.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

The Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 comes with the exact same 55 MP dual Image Signal Processor as the Snapdragon 810. And the 805 is already out and in devices.

Snapdragon 805 processors | Qualcomm Snapdragon Processors | Qualcomm

On top of that, the Lumia 1020 came with a Snapdragon S4P, which was only supposed to handle up to 20 MP image processing. But Nokia managed to squeeze 38 MP processing out of it. So what a SoC can handle on the paper and what a device will ship with isn't the same thing.

And again, the McLaren is quoted as the 1020 successor by The Verge, who usually knows what they're talking about. So no, it will not merely come with a run-of-the-mill 20 MP camera.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 comes with the exact same 55 MP dual Image Signal Processor as the Snapdragon 810. And the 805 is already out and in devices.

Snapdragon 805 processors | Qualcomm Snapdragon Processors | Qualcomm

On top of that, the Lumia 1020 came with a Snapdragon S4P, which was only supposed to handle up to 20 MP image processing. But Nokia managed to squeeze 38 MP processing out of it. So what a SoC can handle on the paper and what a device will ship with isn't the same thing.

And again, the McLaren is quoted as the 1020 successor by The Verge, who usually knows what they're talking about. So no, it will not merely come with a run-of-the-mill 20 MP camera.

If what you say about the Snapdragon 805 being able to handle 55 MP cameras then it is very likely that McLaren will be a successor to the Lumia 1020.

And what you are saying about Snapdragon S4, Nokia explained this. They had to ask Snapdragon to remake the processor's imaging stack to suit the 40 MP sensor of the 1020, since the S4 wasn't really ever meant to handle so many megapixels the 1020's camera has a very slow shutter speed.

If McLaren ships with Snapdragon 805, and if what your saying is true, then the camera will be much much faster.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
If what you say about the Snapdragon 805 being able to handle 55 MP cameras then it is very likely that McLaren will be a successor to the Lumia 1020.

I included a link to Qualcomms own specification sheet of the Snapdragon 805. Click yourself over there and verify the claim.

And what you are saying about Snapdragon S4, Nokia explained this. They had to ask Snapdragon to remake the processor's imaging stack to suit the 40 MP sensor of the 1020, since the S4 wasn't really ever meant to handle so many megapixels the 1020's camera has a very slow shutter speed.

I know. The point was that you can't go by the specification sheet of a single component and assume it either limits or directly compares to what a future device will have. Nokia had the S4P - limited to handling 20 MP sensors - tweaked to work with 38 MP image processing. HTC merely have one 4.1 MP and one 2.1 MP camera on a SoC capable of dual 21 MP image processing. The SoC specifications say absolutely nothing about what the respective devices are capable of (sadly).

In the same spirit, Nokia could surely have the Snapdragon 800 tweaked to handle 80 MP ISP or decide to have a Snapdragon 805 handle input from 16 microlenses instead. We don't know, and we can't jump to any conclusions based on SoC specification sheets.

If McLaren ships with Snapdragon 805, and if what your saying is true, then the camera will be much much faster

I cited sources for every statement I made, so it's more about whether or not those sources are reliable. Those sources clearly state the McLaren is seen as the 1020 successor, and that device is aimed at Q4 2014 according to evleaks and more specifically November according to Daniel Rubino.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much for the compliment, Salman! :)

And to the person asking the question, I hope you got your answer!
There's nothing written in stone when talking about rumours, but the few rumours we know could at least give you some guidance as to what to expect. Wait another 3 months and see if the rumours hold up - odds are more rumours will have surfaced before then either confirming or rejecting the rumours of the McLaren as a 1020 successor.

Before the completion of the Microsoft purchase of the Nokia D&S Division, Daniel Rubino notified us twice about a dual-lens smartphone coming from Nokia Q4 2014 while Goldfinger (the 3D gesture device) was aimed at Q1 2015, having suffered some setback after Microsoft didn't finish the required software in time.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-81-two-os-updates-2014

http://www.windowscentral.com/no-there-no-nokia-lumia-1820

After the Microsoft take-over the old roadmap seems to have been reworked though, so nothing about Nokias former plans remain certain. It's not impossible Microsoft chose to incorporate the technology from both devices into one to make their hero device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes