Restore Whatsapp backup to new Phone

cnbc86

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Im Switching from my 920 to the 930 and I want to take my whatsapp data to my new phone. What do I have to do ? the 920 runs 8.1 Dev. Preview. I already restored the Phone backup from my 920 to my 930 but I did not regster Whats app yet. dose the WP ackup save app settings/ whatsapp data ?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The answer is depends. My 810 had a mishap and had to get a new one. The new one when I installed WhatsApp and fired it up, had everything in it from the last phone. I don't remember setting up any backup options but everything was okay on the new device. Good luck and post back your experience.

cnbc86

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
It did not work. I cant beleve that tere is no way to get the saved backup from a phone without sd card to another phone. I think icloud backups all messages and pictures. why the WP backup dosent do it? I think 8.1 was suppost to save app settings.

Vinay Goud

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
by the way you can download whatsapp for pc
It did not work. I cant beleve that tere is no way to get the saved backup from a phone without sd card to acnother phone. I think icloud backups all messages and pictures. why the WP backup dosent do it? I think 8.1 was suppost to save app settings.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the backup works 100%. When I installed 8.1 on my 920 I did a hard reset, same device and number but my messages didn't come back.
When I changed to 1520 2 weeks same, the group names came over but not messages or content.
Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro2_936 using Tapatalk

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The system for backing up and restoring messages from Whatsapp on Windows Phone leaves quite a lot to be desired but there may be a method.
Reading the post you have a Lumia 920, correct? Insert an SD Card in your Lumia 920, if it already has one that is great.
Open Whatsapp on your Windows Phone and go into settings > chat settings > backup.Press the backup button to make a backup. Now since 930 does not have an SD Card slot the next step is a bit different. After making a backup connect your Lumia 920 to your computer and open up the contents in the SD Card, copy the Whatsapp folder to your computer's desktop.Uninstall Whatsapp from your 930.Now connect your Lumia 930 to the computer.Now head back to your Desktop(or wherever you stored your Whatsapp backup) and right click the "Whatsapp" folder and send to > Lumia 930(Windows Phone).Now download Whatsapp from the Store and let's see if it prompts you to restore your old messages. I hope this helped!

Sent from my SVF15218SGB using Tapatalk

Alexyan89

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
But how can I find the Whatsapp folder inside my Lumia 920?

Because when it's connected to my PC I can only see pictures, audio and video folders!

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
1.Open WhatsApp

2. Go to Settings/Chat Settings/Backup

3.Plug your phone in, look into your phone inside Pictures you will find a WhatsApp folder (if not check Saved Pictures)

(Optional)If they sent a voice message or a video they'll be in their respected folders as well (Video and Music I believe)

Voila you backed up WhatsApp. :)

anon(8913816)

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I have a HTC 8X and I want to reset it. Am I able to somehow keep my chats? How do I do it? I heard that I could copy a Whatsapp folder on my computer but where do I find it?

GamezGuru

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi, i have tried your approach albeit on a different combination of windows phones... i managed to extract the messages.db file from my samsung focus (very long story), and inserted it onto my new Microsoft 640 SD card. Fired up whatsapp for the first time with the same sim, verified it and to my delight it recognised a backup, but recovered 0 messages?! So i uninstalled whatsapp, removed my backups and repeated the process, and it still found a backup! I suspect therefore there is a backup file already on the phone that i need to remove/overwrite... have you ever experienced this, or know how to clear ANY backups from the phone (cannot find any with messages.db filename when exploring the phone or its SD card)?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi GamezGuru!. About the same suspect. Any help? Did you solve the problem?. I backedup the messages.db in my PC, then copy it to the sd,but when I restore Whatsapp it finds a different one (that I think is on the phone memory) and doesn't appear the messages as it should be...
thanks

GamezGuru

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, i gave up on this after wasting way too many hours hacking phones, and have now used whatsapp on my new phone so no point in trying as it would erase my new history... it is impossible!

Phillip Strauss

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Yes, all the above is very confusing. Also spend hours and then I got it solved (RTFM). :devil: :unhappysweat:

A1) Old Phone must have a working SD-card with enough empty space (yes, I have to mention it).
- WhatsApp and NOT be installed on SD-card and BACKUP is DONE to SD-Card.
- "www dot whatsapp dot com/faq/search/?q=SC%20Card&p=false"
A2) Do the WhatsApp Backup -> ...more, settings, chat & calls, backup (takes a couple of seconds for +-2000 chats)
A3) Connect WP to PC with USB cable - go to "SD Card" - you should see "WP\SD Card\WinPhoneBackup with backup folders"
You can check the Date/Time Settings (connect/disconnect as with my Win10-14251 the WP folder is NOT auto updated)
A4) Copy the "WinPhoneBackup" Folder to your PC / One Drive (external BackUp) :grin:

B1) WhatsApp is NOT installed on New Phone
B2) New Phone must have working SD-card (I did not swap the SD-cards between phones) :cool:
B3) Copy the "WinPhoneBackup" Folder to your PC / One Drive (external BackUp)
B4) Install WhatsApp (will give Error if "install new apps to SD" is set) - lucky prompt to override.
B5) Select "Restore from BackUp", then type your Display Name

Hopefully yours will also be successful.
Praise the Lord.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel