Should I get a Lumia 930 or Lumia 1020 - International - USA + HK

marcinskok92

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Deciding between a Lumia 930 and Lumia 1020 for a friend to use for USA and Hong Kong.

Irrespective of any specification differences between the two, which is a better international device? Does either have better LTE support for USA?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
How important is camera? The 20MP devices still can't compare to the 1020. I own a 1020 and 1520, so...

Beyond the camera, the new quad core devices are just better than the 1020.

marcinskok92

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
How important is camera? The 20MP devices still can't compare to the 1020. I own a 1020 and 1520, so...

Beyond the camera, the new quad core devices are just better than the 1020.

Not that important. I understand that it has more megapixels, but I've read there are other aspects which sometimes help picture taking be more enjoyable on 930.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The only reason to get the 1020 is if you really have to have that camera which is still arguably the best smartphone camera.
Otherwise get the 930.

In terms of LTE, the current international 930 does not support the same LTE bands in north America. 3g/fake 4g will work fine but no LTE. Verizon's Icon apparently has LTE locked into itself so even that doesn't work on AT&T or other carriers even though band support is there.
HOWEVER one Canadian distributer claims there is a north American spec 930 coming out soon, it will have all the north American LTE bands supported.

The main issue with LTE is that there are so many bands split among the regions that are incompatible with other regions and phone manufacturers don't seem to incorporate all the necessary bands on a single device. In regards to the 930, I would bet the international 930 will get LTE in HK, but not in north America. likewise the claimed North American specced 930 will get LTE in North America but I don't think it has the right bands for HK.

marcinskok92

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
The only reason to get the 1020 is if you really have to have that camera which is still arguably the best smartphone camera.
Otherwise get the 930.

In terms of LTE, the current international 930 does not support the same LTE bands in north America. 3g/fake 4g will work fine but no LTE. Verizon's Icon apparently has LTE locked into itself so even that doesn't work on AT&T or other carriers even though band support is there.
HOWEVER one Canadian distributer claims there is a north American spec 930 coming out soon, it will have all the north American LTE bands supported.

The main issue with LTE is that there are so many bands split among the regions that are incompatible with other regions and phone manufacturers don't seem to incorporate all the necessary bands on a single device. In regards to the 930, I would bet the international 930 will get LTE in HK, but not in north America. likewise the claimed North American specced 930 will get LTE in North America but I don't think it has the right bands for HK.

Thanks, this was a great help.
Just for curiosity's sake, are there any devices that have LTE compatibility across regions as USA and HK? Not just WP, but generally.

marcinskok92

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Otherwise get the 930.

Does the unlocked Lumia Icon get HK LTE bands?

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, this was a great help.
Just for curiosity's sake, are there any devices that have LTE compatibility across regions as USA and HK? Not just WP, but generally.

I have no idea, there could be. It depends on how many LTE bands are supported by the device. The Lumia Icon for example only has bands 4 and 13 for LTE, while the international 930 has bands 1, 3, 7, 8, 20.

North America predominantly uses 1700/2100mhz for LTE (which is band 4, not to be confused as separate bands. 2100mhz itself is band 1) and there are several 700mhz bands (Verizon is band 13, but theres others like band 12 and band 17).
HK appears to use bands 3 (1800mhz) and 7 (2600mhz) for LTE.
Band 7 exists in NA but seems to be only in Canada.

rumpelst

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
1020 has older CPU but is also smooth and fast so now it is not so important.What is important is that 930 has better screen, audio recording, battery life and worse camera.
Sent from my RM-875_eu_poland_956 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariaabsom