What is a good starter smartphone?

Xeion

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Starter Smartphone

Sorry for putting this in the generic question forum, didn't know where else to put it. I guess I have a bit of a opinion question. First, some background.

I have been a long time WP user. I actually am still using my HTC Titan on AT&T. I, personally, am holding out for the next flagship that is normal sized (5" or below) on AT&T. The question actually revolves around my wife. She is still on a feature phone and will be getting a new phone at the end of the month when she is finally getting kicked off her parents plan and I add her to mine. Obviously, I will be getting her a smartphone. She is not indoctrinated at all, so I figured I would get her a WP because it will do everything she needs (and I am completely anti Android and dislike how much iPhones cost).

Here is the conundrum. She doesn't want me to spend very much money on a phone for her, but I want her to have a good experience and a good phone. I think I am debating between one of the older flagships, likely used (which would cost between $150 and $200) or buying the AT&T Lumia 635 (given they release it sometime soon) for around $120 (probably).

I am just not sold on either idea. I would probably prefer a new Lumia 920 to a new Lumia 635 for her, just for the better camera, screen, ffc, and space on the device, but you can't really get a "new" one for under $200, from what I have seen and I am worried about performance once WP8.1 is actually released on these slightly dated handsets. The other issue, is that lots of the old flagships were thick and heavy (my wife's hands are small). Given, the 635 is no lean phone, but it works. I like the idea that the 635 was made for WP8.1 and so, with the newer processor and such is better for the newer OS, but then only 512MB of RAM and shrimpboat for storage (even with the SD card ability that seems like a downer). The major killer is that the camera just isn't "sufficient" (in my opinion) and no flash. I want her to "enjoy" her first smartphone experience. In reality she probably wouldn't notice if she never had it... but she has sisters that are all Apple obsessive and trying to get her to get an iPhone (she is opposed only based on price). If she has a "cheaper" phone, she will be ridiculed. haha

So... yeah. That's the rub. What do you guys think? Would the 635 be sufficient? (Side note... when is it even coming on AT&T anyways?) Is there a place that I can get an AT&T flagship from last year that would be on the cheap and still in new or excellent condition? A 920, 925, or 1020 would work. Or... should I get like a 520 and then have her wait it out for a 8XX or 7XX replacement device later this year? Mercy, hard to choose.

Xeion

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Starter Smartphone

Theoretically in the next couple weeks. Not sure I can hold out, as they haven't even been announced, let alone a release date. My wife will need a phone when she gets onto my plan.

boltz82

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

If you are interested I have a yellow 920 for AT&T that I would be willing to send you. I would be willing to go to $120 if you are interested. I understand wanting to get the significant other something decent. I just got a 1520 thus freeing this phone up. If you are interested just let me know.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

No, the 635 is still low end and the 920/820/upper tier of phones still perform reasonably. I'd get a good condition 920, or 820 if money's a problem.
a 720 is an option, but is meh in terms of performance. battery life is nice though.

(925, 1020's probably cost more, but if the price is right, can't go wrong, unless its a scam.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiddo