Is Windows phone Slowest in getting Update?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Depends on your point of view.

WP has received three updates and though the major WP8.1 is taking some time we will eventually get it.

There are many Android devices that can't be updated. Some that OEMs won't update so you can complain but at least you'll get it eventually, unless your carrier can't be bothered.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ever? Nope, back in the day, involvement was mostly done when the phone shipped. Old Palm Treos didn't see much in significant updates. (although it didn't make a significant difference)

Android, while an update force in the high end, I believe it is still spotty lower down.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
No. It's just that they go for the high end phones first then go down and prioritize by how much the phone has sold, how many problems it has, etc. That's why the 620 is always last unfortunately :'(.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
No. It's just that they go for the high end phones first then go down and prioritize by how much the phone has sold, how many problems it has, etc. That's why the 620 is always last unfortunately :'(.

Since when is a 520 a high end phone? It's getting the update before me. How do you explain that?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd almost rather T-Mobile rolled out a new mid/high range Lumia then get the update to me. But then again, I'm already on the Preview for Developers. And phones tend to age quickly in my frantic, technopress driven mind. LOLz...

I will say that in the 9 months I've had my 925, I've been pleased with the frequency and quality of updates. Almost akin to a Nexus level and that's hard to do for such a wide array of devices. Android has so many abandoned devices that don't get updates after one or two small bumps, let alone major version changes. Soooo many abandoned Androids. Go to the Android forums and watch them cry, "Why can't my Fibberdtygibbert Lackluster get the next update!!!!!"

Here's where it fools you. Lumias are getting official, factory images and upgrades which have been passed by the carriers. Carrier testing/additions are always the longest part of the release cycle. Most Androids have been abandoned and get their updates via flashing cooked ROMs. How much buggy/broken stuff gets into those "nightlies" before they stabilize? How many ROM hoppers are there? How many say; "I installed CM11.x on my Fibbertygibbert Lackluster and now it doesn't recognize my SIM/my WiFi/my SD card/my Camera/my whatsadoodle. Help!! How do I fix this?"

You have to love the support life Windows Phone is receiving since the bump from 7.8 to 8.0. Lets hope that commitment continues. When Apple made the leap to iOS 7 how many devices got dropped from the update? So far as I know only Lumia 810 isn't making a Windows Phone leap that is equivalent to the change between iOS 6 and iOS7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vichuz121