Should/Will Microsoft rebrand Bing?

quantum1990

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
So I was thinking about Microsoft's services and the integration it currently has between Windows, Windows Phone, Bing, OneDrive, Cortana etc and I realised that the one service that Microsoft seems to be focusing less attention on is Bing.

That got me thinking about what direction MSFT are taking with Bing and how it comes into play with the rest of the services and I had an idea, one that I think would be a great one.

I think Microsoft should rebrand Bing, to Cortana, and integrate all of Bing's functions into it, and I mean FULLY. Cortana could be deeply integrated across the entire range of MSFT platforms, Windows Phone, Windows OS, Xbox as well as being an online service/search engine, cortana.com.

Just imagine going to cortana.com on any device and having everything that's most important to you right there in front of you. This could be on the right hand side of the web page at a glance, the design could be unified across all platforms. And of course on the rest of the page would be the search engine function.

Forget Cortana being a personal assistant, she could be a life assistant and she could be there for you wherever you are, and whatever device you're using at the time, worldwide!

So what do you think Microsoft should do? or are even planning on doing? Could this be the way to go?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Actually, Bing is always there, in the back as the backbone of a lot of different services. So due to that, it's probably getting more work done and work being done in it than most other services. What runs Cortana? Windows Phone search? Windows 8 search, when your looking for an app or something in the store? Bing is there, and I doubt it'll get renamed again.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the OP. Bing is less known as compared to Google. I mean no one says Bing it! in RL. Only in forums. And to make it worse. It is way inferior in most countries. If Cortana is used in their total overhaul rebranding, it would appeal more to Gamers and newcomers who seems to think that Cortana is a 'life assistant' like you said.

quantum1990

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I think if Microsoft rebranded to Cortana and rolled it out to Windows 9, Xbox, Windows Phone worldwide & marketed it in the right way (something they're not so good at right now) they may get a lot of people moving over to Microsoft's services. They may be improving the backend of Bing, but what's the real point if not many people even use the front end? Having Cortana is the perfect opportunity to roll it out to a whole range of devices and on the web for non MS hardware for a truly personal and integrated experience.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I thought the zune rebrand was terrible and so would be a bing rebrand. Zune had positive brand recognition, and people who owned zune players thought it was a much superior player than iPods... They kill the zune and change the name to Xbox Music and change everything on the back end to be worse... Wtf. They don't need to change bing!

quantum1990

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
The problem with Zune & Bing though is that they are(were for Zune) both failing 'brands'. Yes the people who use(d) them loved them, and I agree Zune was great! But how many people in the general public, ie Joe Bloggs consumer, recommend those products? That's why I believe MSFT should ride high on the attention Cortana is getting because to be fair it's probably the best product/service they've brought out in a long time and it should get the recognition it deserves. But with it just being a 'personal assistant'on Windows Phone & on Xbox and Windows in the future it's only gonna appeal to a certain set of consumers, and people who rave about it are going to be people like ourselves that use the products day in day out. It would be great if Cortana could expand and become the next big thing, rather than just being an assistant. Why not have her manage search too and bring her services to millions worldwide? Just imagine what she could do if she was able to manage everything that's important in your life no matter what device you use? Even better if MSFT integrated her into smart watches!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb