Switching to Windows Phone for first time from Android

ahitagni

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have been a long time Android user I am planning to switch to Windows phone, I have some question for long time Windows Phone users. (sorry if I have posted in the wrong section of the forum)

1) Will syncing Google Contacts on Windows Phone sync all fields?

2) Can I put and supported media file (audio/video/images) directly on memory card and insert in the phone and be able to access it on the phone? Or do I have to sync with a companion app on computer? If yes then does that software on computer supports only Windows computer or Mac too?

3) Any one of you using Instagram on Windows Phone? How does Instagram Beta performs? (I am planning to get Nokia 1320 does it works on it?)

4) Can Windows Phone send files via Bluetooth? (If yes does it supports sending all kinds of files?, I know the question sounds kind of stupid, but I have seen a friend not able to send file on his older WP phone but could send it after an sw update)

4) Anyone using WhatsApp? Can you send all kinds of file? Like mp3 and Video etc? (Saw in comment action of app download page , that some user are complaining about not being able to send mp3 files)

5) Can I use Google Drive on Windows Phone? (I could not find official app, I know OneDrive is there but I got files and shared folders on Google Drive)

6) Is there any web interface for finding / locking /make it ring/wiping device of lost phone? (like there is Android Device Manager for Android phones)

7) Can I encrypt memory card and internal storage like it offers on Android?

8) Can i change notifications and set different tones for messages from different people?

9) Any browser which you would like to recommend for Windows Phone

Any other thing you would like to say or recommend for first time Windows Phone user or any device you would like to recommend to me.

Thanks for going through such a long post.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I have been a long time Android user I am planning to switch to Windows phone, I have some question for long time Windows Phone users. (sorry if I have posted in the wrong section of the forum)

2) Can I put and supported media file (audio/video/images) directly on memory card and insert in the phone and be able to access it on the phone? Or do I have to sync with a companion app on computer? If yes then does that software on computer supports only Windows computer or Mac too?

3) Any one of you using Instagram on Windows Phone? How does Instagram Beta performs? (I am planning to get Nokia 1320 does it works on it?)

4) Can Windows Phone send files via Bluetooth? (If yes does it supports sending all kinds of files?, I know the question sounds kind of stupid, but I have seen a friend not able to send file on his older WP phone but could send it after an sw update)

4) Anyone using WhatsApp? Can you send all kinds of file? Like mp3 and Video etc? (Saw in comment action of app download page , that some user are complaining about not being able to send mp3 files)

5) Can I use Google Drive on Windows Phone? (I could not find official app, I know OneDrive is there but I got files and shared folders on Google Drive)

6) Is there any web interface for finding / locking /make it ring/wiping device of lost phone? (like there is Android Device Manager for Android phones)

8) Can i change notifications and set different tones for messages from different people?

9) Any browser which you would like to recommend for Windows Phone

Any other thing you would like to say or recommend for first time Windows Phone user or any device you would like to recommend to me.

Thanks for going through such a long post.

1. Seems to sync all to me.

2. No companion app needed?

3. Use 6tag, it's 1000 times better than official instagram on any platform.

4. What file types are you asking for?

4(part 2). Yes, you can.

5. I don't know of one, maybe others can help.

6. Yes there is. Not sure if it has all of those features but definitely close

7. I've not seen this option presented.

8. Custom tones are a thing

9. IE is amazing and UC browser is no slouch

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I suggest you update to wp 8.1 if you get a wp8 device if official update is available for the device you buy in your region(check Nokia's website to track it-sorry I'm on a phone now can't provide you with the direct links) or else you have the developer preview option to update even if it is not officially available.
Sharing files via Bluetooth in wp 8.1 is way better than wp8's file sharing. You will have to download a file manager after updating to 8.1.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
My friend had a google account, synced his contacts without any problems, plus there is a tool called transfer my data, which helps really well.

2) Can I put and supported media file (audio/video/images) directly on memory card and insert in the phone and be able to access it on the phone?
yes you can

3) Any one of you using Instagram on Windows Phone? How does Instagram Beta performs? (I am planning to get Nokia 1320 does it works on it?
instagram beta is only superior with one thing, notifications. because its the official app, it can get notifications.
6tag has waaaay more features, but it has to refresh every 30 min in order to get updated from the servers.

4) Can Windows Phone send files via Bluetooth? (If yes does it supports sending all kinds of files?
all files that i tried worked fine, except songs, as they are considered a copywrited material that shouldn't be shared.

4) Anyone using WhatsApp? Can you send all kinds of file? Like mp3 and Video etc?
same as previous question

5) Can I use Google Drive on Windows Phone?
lots of 3rd party apps

yup there is.

yup, bitlocker.

not sure, although notifications area is very customizable these days.

9) Any browser which you would like to recommend for Windows Phone?
windows just recently allowed developers to create web browsers. till now, all web browsers in store are actually IE11/10 with a different layout.

start shifting your life to Microsoft services, as they are better looking, and more hip, and yeah, would work better with your new device.

And btw the 1320 is really a good device, but make sure you identify your needs, as nokia really really customizes devices for specific needs, you well never get the all in one device. except the 1520, but its a 6" device. there is always a but, always.

ahitagni

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies. I am going for 1320 as i think its a nice device to watch videos and listen to music. I will mainly use my phone for messaging , watch videos listen to music and play little games. i selected 1320 as it has a big screen and 1GB RAM (some game needs 1GB RAM and won't work with 512MB RAM as per comments on internet) and cost is less than 1520

Please do share any other model name if you like. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Christinaenth