How to restore the apps/settings from my Lumia 635 and transfer them to my new Lumia 925?

jordiet

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and hope you can help me with this issue, thank you very much for any help.

I just received a Nokia Lumia 925 and would like to use my backup settings from my Lumia 635, thought it was an easy process but I can't get the restore option to work properly in the new phone (obviously trying to use the backup made by the other phone).

I have the backup properly done as it shows in the 635 model (Manage backups-Settings backup/App backup --Using 548,37kb/18GB from OneDrive), but then when I go to the 925 model (resetting the phone, using my Microsoft account, etc), it doesn't show any backup made from the 635 model, it shows nothing. Then, if I make a new backup of this 925, it does work but obviously it is not the information from the 635, it is what in the screen in the 925 model after resetting the phone to factory.

Perhaps the two systems are not compatible and the information can not be transferred to one phone to the other??

-- Nokia Lumia 635: Windows Phone 8.1. O.S. Version: 8.10.12397.895.
Firmware revision number: 01061.00066.14235.36004

-- Nokia Lumia 925: Windows Phone 8.1. O.S. Version: 8.10.12393.890.
Firmware revision number: 3051.50009.1424.0012

Both of them are up to date.

Probably I am doing something wrong, so thank you for the advices.
Cheers,

Jordiet

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The OS version on your 925 is slightly older than what is found on your 635. Not sure why it's still saying it's up to date (if you're not using DP on your 635 and official on the 925), but my guess is that the difference in the OS versions is causing this issue for you. I think you can't use a backup from a device that has a newer OS version than the device you're trying to perform the restore on.

jordiet

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
thanks dKp1977, I thought that would be the issue. But the updates are done automatically and I just checked again and both of them are up to date but with different OS versions, not sure the reason for that.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Evidently the Cyan firmware sees differences from the 925's installed firmware.

I would have thought that a restore from the 635's account would have at least re-implemented some of the 635's account settings.
i;e contacts, pictures and so on...
Since many 925's have not been moved up to Cyan yet the OS features may not be restorable to a new device not running the latest WP version.
Be advised I'm guessing here...

**just to note:
I restored a previous account from a Lumia 521 (DP8.1 with GDR1) to a 635.
All contacts, texts, call history and apps from phone memory showed up on the new 635.
Certain apps had to be installed from the stores "downloaded apps" history.
Also a few apps evidently aren't available with the L635's factory version.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Evidently the Cyan firmware sees differences from the 925's installed firmware.

I would have thought that a restore from the 635's account would have at least re-implemented some of the 635's account settings.
i;e contacts, pictures and so on...
Since many 925's have not been moved up to Cyan yet the OS features may not be restorable to a new device not running the latest WP version.
Be advised I'm guessing here...

**just to note:
I restored a previous account from a Lumia 521 (DP8.1 with GDR1) to a 635.
All contacts, texts, call history and apps from phone memory showed up on the new 635.
Certain apps had to be installed from the stores "downloaded apps" history.
Also a few apps evidently aren't available with the L635's factory version.

I suspect the difference in the OS versions to be the culprit here. Firmware is mostly about drivers and some additional features, but nothing that should have a direct impact on backups. At least to my knowledge. Doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong. ;)

jordiet

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again Guytronic, yes indeed I just realised now that somehow and automatically the contacts, the sms messages and call history have been transferred to the 925; I didn't make any manual restore as I said earlier, it didn't show on the backup feature but my guess is as the Microsoft account is also connected on the 925, it may have done it in an automatic way. The apps and the settings have not been transferred or restored, neither the photos or videos.

It seems the difference on the OS versions might be the cause of this trouble of not restoring from one phone to the other.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb