Can someone help me pick my next phone?

Charles Rice

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi there guys,

I'm currently a L920 user on AT&T looking for some guidance on my next phone. I just started at Best Buy mobile and am now eligible for an AT&T concession line. I've been going back and forth on my next phone purchase, in the running are the M8 for Windows, the Lumia 1520, 830, and 1020. After seeing the rumor today about the 830's camera only being 10MP it has quickly moved to the bottom of my list(of course this could change Sep 4, if that rumor proves to be untrue). Camera is obviously something thats important to me, which is why list is currently ordered as such: L1520, L1020, L830, M8.

1520 makes the top of the list solely based on its hardware specs, the screen size is a little bit of a turn off to me. That being said I've never used a 5"+ device, but I feel like I would be more comfortable on a 5"-5.5" display. What I do like are the camera, MicroSD, case colors, glance, battery life, and styling. I would of course miss Qi after coming from a 920 though.

1020 is the obvious option for someone wanting a camera, but dated hardware and the 4.5" display are a major turn off. I'm not dissatisfied with the performance of 8.1 on the 920 or cyan on my 925, but I know it would be snappier on a Snap 800 and buying into old tech is never a good feeling when you're stuck with it for a year.

The 830 though... Man it was sounding like I finally found a replacement for my 920 when the specs starting leaking, then this news of a 10MP camera hits and boom.... I'm suddenly not so excited. Sure fast Shot to shot sounds great, but what happens to the lossless zoom that the 1020 and 1520 have. And no news that I've seen regarding HAAC(though I feel if it has Pureview it will have HAAC). I do like the removable battery and MicroSD tho.

Now we come to the M8. It has a bum camera, we all know it. It doesn't stack up to any of these phones as far as details in neither day or night. It doesn't stack up to any high end phone from the past year. It has duo camera... whoop dee doo. It has an IR blaster... I don't care, I don't watch TV... What it does have is a gorgeous display, high end specs, good battery life, good styling, and Boomsound (yes I think my phone having a good speaker is important), and the Dot View case.

The phone that would 100% have me hook line and sinker would be the Lumia 1030... Give me some modern specs, MicroSD, dedicated imaging chip(4K capable), glance, a 5" display(with small bezel), good speaker, and above all enough battery to get me through the day taking pictures. Is this phone ever going to come? Should I wait, should I buy one of these phones and trade around when the time comes? Help me WPCentral, you're my only hope.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I think you are looking for a high end WP phone and the 830 it's more like a mid-range phone so maybe you will get a little disappointed. At the end, all comes down either the L1520 or the M8... since there is no Icon/930 for AT&T and you want a good camera, that leaves only the 1520. If you can can live with the big size of the 1520, it's a solid phone by all means.

mmmuffin

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Just go to a store and pick up what feels right for you. I often go in with only 1 phone in mind, and several times left with a completely different choice. I've also waited around before for the next greatest phone, but then it comes, and wasn't worth waiting for. :)

XcZachx20

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I think you are looking for a high end WP phone and the 830 it's more like a mid-range phone so maybe you will get a little disappointed. At the end, all comes down either the L1520 or the M8... since there is no Icon/930 for AT&T and you want a good camera, that leaves only the 1520. If you can can live with the big size of the 1520, it's a solid phone by all means.

I agree, wait until the specs of the 830 is confirmed officially then make your decision. If the 830 does fancy you then go between the 1520 and the m8. If camera is important go with the 1520, if you don't want a big screen (which it's a beautiful screen) then go with the M8. Daniel said that HTC's camera software makes that bum camera pretty good.

panesar7

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
930 or M8 depending on your network or availability. I too have been waiting for an upgrade for my 920, but sadly cannot find anything as good in terms of built and size. I feel 1520 is too big. 930 and M8 are slightly bigger compared to 920 but then we have limited options here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium