storage sense problem

ilias_hellas

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys..I just got my Lumia 925 (brand new) and I am experiencing a strange thing..When I check the storage sense app it tells me that I have 166 mb of email+messaging stuff on my phone..I can assure you there are 0 of these because I only used my phone for like a week or so..I also used Nokia Pc suite to thoroughly see what's on my phone and came back without messages and mails!Does anyone know if I can restore this amount of memory and use it for something else,or at least find out what takes up so much memory?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
First, Nokia PC Suite doesn't work with L925 so not sure what you're seeing on there.

Second, 166mb is not that much. Do you have absolutely no emails on your phone? No email accounts? No SMS? No MMS? Nothing?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Did the account you use sync with an existing email account or was it new?

I have two email accounts I use regularly and folders I access on a regular basis so I sync all that. Just the headers. By day 1 my phone had both email and text messages on it. So the length of time you had your phone wasn't a concern to me.

I just checked my phone, I only have 84.58MB of email and messaging.

ilias_hellas

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I used the only hotmail account I got.Never activated cloud back up of anything (privacy concerns)..I also went to outlook from my Pc and deleted almost all my emails..Now there are only 6-7 left with no attachments.But again the storage sense reports only the things that are stored on the device..

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Your MS account automatically syncs to Outlook.com. There is no way to turn it off.

Not entirely sure what your concern is over the cloud but to each their own.

I'm not sure what this could be. I know that some of the WP tools can report things incorrectly but I didn't think it would do this.

You could try a soft reset - hold power and volume down together until the phone vibrates and the phone will restart. You won't lose any of your data.

No idea if this will do anything but it doesn't hurt to try.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Your MS account automatically syncs to Outlook.com. There is no way to turn it off.

Not entirely sure what your concern is over the cloud but to each their own.

I'm not sure what this could be. I know that some of the WP tools can report things incorrectly but I didn't think it would do this.

You could try a soft reset - hold power and volume down together until the phone vibrates and the phone will restart. You won't lose any of your data.

No idea if this will do anything but it doesn't hurt to try.

I think the entire contacts collection that's synchronized through the outlook.com account is part of emails & messaging too. I sync a single mail account, which currently holds ~15 emails on my device. Yet I have a whopping 299MB in emails & messaging. I have a huuuuuge contact list though.

ilias_hellas

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
The strange thing is that I only got 1 email account synched with 6-7 emails which reports 118 mb of taken up memory while you got 2 reporting 85 mb..My outlook account when accessed by a Pc shows the 6-7 emails that I know of..nothing else..but again,storage sense reports what's on the phone not online...118 mb is not a real problem but if it grows I won't know what to do..

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The strange thing is that I only got 1 email account synched with 6-7 emails which reports 118 mb of taken up memory while you got 2 reporting 85 mb..My outlook account when accessed by a Pc shows the 6-7 emails that I know of..nothing else..but again,storage sense reports what's on the phone not online...118 mb is not a real problem but if it grows I won't know what to do..

Check my post above. How many contacts do you have on your device (people hub)?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hard reset yes..so it's impossible to have contacts or other stuff on the phone after a hard reset...I didn't even sign in to my mail account just to be sure!

You did not enter your Microsoft account details during the device setup process after the hard reset, and it still showed 67MB? Oo That's truly confusing. Maybe WP reserves some storage for emails & messaging and so on? Or maybe the according apps count towards email & messaging in storage sense too? I can only guess here, sorry. :(

ilias_hellas

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
You did not enter your Microsoft account details during the device setup process after the hard reset, and it still showed 67MB? Oo That's truly confusing. Maybe WP reserves some storage for emails & messaging and so on? Or maybe the according apps count towards email & messaging in storage sense too? I can only guess here, sorry. :(

Well,thanks for your time man..Nokia Hellas asked me if I am 100% sure that my email and messaging sectors are empty..That's the kind of help they gave me on Facebook and then told me to post at Nokia discussions..And again a guy told me it's the email and messaging application taking up so much memory..No way I said and gave up...I am sure that if the email+messaging part starts to grow wild for other users as well then more will come for help..

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well,thanks for your time man..Nokia Hellas asked me if I am 100% sure that my email and messaging sectors are empty..That's the kind of help they gave me on Facebook and then told me to post at Nokia discussions..And again a guy told me it's the email and messaging application taking up so much memory..No way I said and gave up...I am sure that if the email+messaging part starts to grow wild for other users as well then more will come for help..

Mine's been pretty steady around 250 to 300 MB. I've been using the device for roughly 7 months now. No hard reset or anything in the mean time, so I think there's not gonna be an issue for your either. :)

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I am going to guess that the app reserves some cache for use for storing new emails on the assumption that you would not want to miss any of these just because your phone becomes too full. And that over time it will adjust the amount of cache it reserves to match your usage but with always a minimum size.

ilias_hellas

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I am going to guess that the app reserves some cache for use for storing new emails on the assumption that you would not want to miss any of these just because your phone becomes too full.

Nahh..if you check "what's storage sense" it says that the app gives an analysis of the stuff stored on the phone.For the email+messaging it says that it includes the text messages and emails including attachments.My god..from one perspective it's funny to have ghost emails and texts on my brand new phone..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap