Best value (budget) phone with good camera?

Windoge

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I'm new here and I'm searching for a new phone that could take high quality pictures. The main use of a phone will be calling, texting and taking photos. I will not use it for playing, web browsing or anything that requires high end hardware. I don't mind buying and older model, it just have to work smooth.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I'm new here and I'm searching for a new phone that could take high quality pictures. The main use of a phone will be calling, texting and taking photos. I will not use it for playing, web browsing or anything that requires high end hardware. I don't mind buying and older model, it just have to work smooth.

Are you talking about Windows Phone only or any budget device that has a decent camera?

If Windows Phone only, then I would recommend waiting for the Lumia 830 and see how good experts rate the camera.

If you are willing to try other devices in the range, I have other suggestions.

Windoge

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Depending on your budget: The 830 will likely suite your needs. If not, perhaps a Lumia 730/735, or even a 720?
Those are amazing phones, but I guess they are a little bit above my budget.
I checked on Ebay both Lumia 520 and 800, they were around 100$, there was also 610 and 710 for this pricetag.
I will be using phone to take simple photos, such as family photos, nature and so on. I need a phone with a best camera for this price (it can be up to 120$).

Windoge

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Are you talking about Windows Phone only or any budget device that has a decent camera?

If Windows Phone only, then I would recommend waiting for the Lumia 830 and see how good experts rate the camera.

If you are willing to try other devices in the range, I have other suggestions.

Any device will do, just need a good camera. Price can be up to 120$.

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
You can get a refurb 928 for $135 from ebay right now. If you don't want to go with a refurb, new Nokia 822 can be had from Amazon for $95. There is also some good used ones for sale here for $85. I think both of those would give you as good as a camera you are going to get in that price range.

Windoge

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't matter what OS it runs, because I've never had a smartphone before. I've just decided to buy a smartphone for taking pictures, because my QWERTY phone 2 mp camera can't do the job. I also care for design, personally Nokia Lumia phones looks very attractive to me, also I like Sony Xperia Z and M2 models, but those are just too pricey for me.
I need anything decent that would take good quality photos. But I don't want a Samsung-style roundy phone as those look ugly for me, I prefer slender designs like Sony Xperia Z3 or Nokia Lumia 800. Although there is some roundy Lumias, but I don't mind those because they look much better than any roundy android phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't matter what OS it runs, because I've never had a smartphone before. I've just decided to buy a smartphone for taking pictures, because my QWERTY phone 2 mp camera can't do the job. I also care for design, personally Nokia Lumia phones looks very attractive to me, also I like Sony Xperia Z and M2 models, but those are just too pricey for me.
I need anything decent that would take good quality photos. But I don't want a Samsung-style roundy phone as those look ugly for me, I prefer slender designs like Sony Xperia Z3 or Nokia Lumia 800. Although there is some roundy Lumias, but I don't mind those because they look much better than any roundy android phone.
Well budget phones with good cameras are WP territory anyway. Might as well wait for the 730/735 and 830.

Windoge

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
According to rumors Lumia 830 will be 400$ and Lumia 730 200 Euro. Those are upcoming latest phones, I don't require a top-notch phone. I watched some camera test videos on Youtube, and both Lumia 520 and Lumia 800 cameras looks excelent for me, I just don't know which one to choose.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
$120 for a decent camera? Well, depending on how you define "decent:" Even the Lumia line might not be able to satisfy on such a tight budget, at least at retail pricing.

You're definitely going to have to explore refurbs, eBay, Amazon, or anything else similar to get "decent" camera quality.

Pick up an old iPhone 4 or Lumia 900 if you ///REALLY/// don't care about OS, and just care about an ok, decent, good enough camera.

Both will never again receive any new updates (aside from something along the lines of a super critical security patch), so they're stuck as-is.

But if you're someone who really isn't into the smartphone aspect of your, well, smartphone... Then I believe both wield cameras that many would agree are simply, "Ehh, good enough."

I'd still recommend something more modern, if possible, like the 7XX series or 8XX series. And while great phone options: The 5XX and 6XX series really start to scrape the bottom of the barrel in terms of camera optics, being ultra-budget devices, after all.

Windoge

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
$120 for a decent camera? Well, depending on how you define "decent:" Even the Lumia line might not be able to satisfy on such a tight budget, at least at retail pricing.

But I've found this video of Lumia 520: youtube.com/watch?v=OWthZCRT2ZA
And the camera looks really good. But I've read that Lumia 800 would have a better camera. I don't care about OS specs, it can be an old model, single core cpu, I just want it to have a good camera for the money.
Those high end newest models like Lumia 925 or Lumia 1020 have a professional camera, they are just too good for my needs.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
If that's good enough for you: Then go for it. Photography is very subjective, so if the Lumia 520, Lumia 800, whatever phone running whatever OS is enough to satisfy your needs: Then it's the right phone for you.

I personally think the colors look really dull on the 520 (in video, anyways), and the lack of OIS is painfully obvious. But again: If you're happy with the camera and it fits your budget: Is a good phone for you, and totally worth a purchase consideration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077