Why regional format overrides language settings?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

Example 1

Language -> English (UK)
Region -> Country -> Germany
Region -> Regional format -> German (Germany)

Weekdays in the home screen, weather app,...all in German!!! Even though English (UK) is my selected language.

Example 2

Language -> English (UK)
Region -> Country -> Germany
Region -> Regional format -> match phone language

Currency set to pounds!!! I live in Germany and we have euros here....

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
MS is aware of it. Apparently it is by design. Even Windows desktop works in this same way, and it has worked that way for over a decade.

You can fix it though. Just change everything to UK English, and then override the number and currency format settings as desired. It's not as quick and intuitive as I'd like, but it works.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
MS is aware of it. Apparently it is by design. Even Windows desktop works in this same way, and it has worked that way for over a decade.

You can fix it though. Just change everything to UK English, and then override the number and currency format settings as desired. It's not as quick and intuitive as I'd like, but it works.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

That's a rather tedious way to do things I have to admit.

Can you show us how you override those things in WP? I've never seen the settings.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
IMHO tedious is putting it mildly. I suspect this is just another one of those situations where MS is incapable of understanding their international customers. These days it's very common to meet people who want a U.K. or U.S. English device (prefers English for their tech) with German number formatting (grew up in Germany and prefers what they are used to), but wants the device hooked up to the Swiss app store and use Swiss Francs (because they currently live in Switzerland). Of course you can replace that combination with hundreds of others. It's just one example of what results of today's globalized economy. None of these formatting/language/currency issues are in any way related, but MS just can't wrap their brains around that and always insists on tying them together in some ridiculous way.

Anyway, my previous explanation was incorrect. Sorry. On WP you are basically screwed. If someone put this up on user voice I'd give it 3 votes.

On Windows the solution is just not intuitive, but at least it's possible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
domdomonom