Can anyone help me pick a WP?

Thalador Dufosnee

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Looking to jump ship from Android

Hey folks. I have been reading up a storm about Windows phone 8.1 over the last few days. I am considering changing since I am going to dump T-Mobile and go back to Verizon soon. Some background on me

I have been an IT guy for 25 years so love the techie stuff
Been using Android since the first Droid phone came out
Hate Apple :)

I have been looking at alot of threads, probably too many, and am looking for feedback on what I should be looking at and why it is good or not good. Things that are important to me

1. A good camera. My first grandson is 10 months old and I take tons of pics and videos that are auto-uploaded to dropbox.

2. Good performance. I am not a power app user, use things like facebook, yelp, web browsing, gmail and texting.

3. Quality phone. Have had the cheap plastic phones that feel like it and don't want that.

With this being said, Verizon has discontinued the Icon (just saw that thread earlier) so my choices are

Samsung ATIV SE (have done the least research on this)

Nokia Lumia 928

HTC One M8

HTC Windows Phone 8x (havent read anything about this)

Any help is appreciated and I will give additional info if needed.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Looking to jump ship from Android

Also, pics and videos for windows are auto-uploaded to One Drive, you get 20 GB free for your camera roll. I've been in IT for almost 15 years, I have the Lumia 928. I've loved it. Take lots of pictures of the kids. I'm not a big app guy either, and the core apps have been pretty good. A few nit picks with the Calendar and Email, but 8.1 DP have solved most of those for me.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

The best phone out of the bunch is still the Icon. Verizon may have retired it, but they will still support it, obviously. You may never get WP8.1/Cyan on it and that completely sucks. But you want good WP on Verizon with a good camera? The Icon is your only choice. I had the 928 and currently own the Icon. The Icon is better by a mile compared to the 928, in every aspect. If the Icon is out of the question, the HTC M8 is the choice, hands down. The 928 is two years old now.

With all that said, were I you I would also see what AT&T has to offer. Verizon's apathy toward WP is something to note.

*edit* The HTC M8 doesn't have a bad camera, but after you get spoiled with a pureview lens (Icon/1020/1520/930) everything else is inferior.

thalador

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. I am going to go into a Verizon store later and take a look at what they have. I haven't really considered AT&T but maybe I will check them out. I have a Galaxy S4 now, so I am looking for at least a comparable camera, if not better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077