Will my factory unlocked phone continue to receive updates?

W

WPCentral Question

I live in Canada where Windows phone options are very weak. It doesn't look like any carriers will offer any decent phones soon, so I want to buy a factory unlocked phone online.

My only concern is will I continue to be offered OS updates if the phone is not carried in Canada by any carriers.

I want to buy a Nokia 930 - and for example, will I be able to get the Denim update that is supposed to come out in the next few weeks?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If you buy a country variant unlocked phone you will get updates when that country variant gets updates. It's based on the IMEI number

What carrier you use is not an issue when you dealing with unlocked country variants. The only issue you have is that it should work with the carrier you want to use.

When you buy a phone ensure that it is not an unlocked carrier phone. Otherwise you will have the issue of relying on that carrier to release the update, regardless where it's from.

Last edited:

meaker

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
So you're saying that since the factory unlocked phone comes from a country that does sell and carry the Nokia 930, it's IMEI number will enable it to receive updates when they are made available no matter where in the world you are located? Then even though you can't buy this phone where I live, it should keep the OS up to date. Right? (and yes, it's NOT an unlocked carrier phone).

wetworker

Oct 31, 2010
www.zunecards.net
Yep that's what I'm saying.

Your phone will receive updates once that country variant is released. Where you live or what carrier you use has no bearing on it.

Thanks for that info. It's looking like I'm going to have to go that route. Rogers sucks big time and Microsoft refuse to offer high end unlocked phones at their store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheStivo