How is Mirrorlink on Windows Phone?

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone had some information on Mirrorlink. I saw it demonstrated at Build 2014 I think but it's still not in Windows Phone.

Anyone have any idea if we have to wait for Windows 10 for it? Or if Microsoft has just abandoned it?

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Mirrorlink on Windows Phone

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone had some information on Mirrorlink. I saw it demonstrated at Build 2014 I think but it's still not in Windows Phone.

Anyone have any idea if we have to wait for Windows 10 for it? Or if Microsoft has just abandoned it?

If you don't mind me asking, what is Mirrorlink?

fishyuk

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, having just taken delivery of a 2015 Polo I have a vested interest in WP supporting Mirrorlink :). Don't want to go down the route of taking a company Android phone and only have my WP as personal.

Anyone with a WP10 preview phone please request Mirrorlink support, even if just in the Here Drive app section. I'll be requesting once it supports my phones.

vw90gl

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey, same for me: taken delivery of a brand new Polo eof April 2015 with Mirrorlink Inside but my Nokia 925 and 1020 are not recognized by the system when some automotive magazines were announcing Android and Windos Phone to be compatible !!!
Any chance to see that fixed/developped by Microsoft ?

p51mustang

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Any more news on Mirror Link support on W10M? Getting my new car and Lumia 950 in December and would love it if the two would talk to each other.

MS is really making it difficult to stay with Windows on my phone ...

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Any more news on Mirror Link support on W10M? Getting my new car and Lumia 950 in December and would love it if the two would talk to each other.

MS is really making it difficult to stay with Windows on my phone ...

I am facing the same decision. Buying a VW Golf SportWagen and was going to buy a Lumia 950 XL. Because I am a road warrior and often spend up to 10 hours a day on the road, this is a critical feature. In my research so far, there is no indication that this is even in planning for Windows 10 Mobile. My guess is that Microsoft will not do anything for the car. This is the first time I am considering an iPhone after having 7 different Windows Phones in the past. The frustrating thing is how easy this would be for Microsoft to do, and they just don't care.

shovelhead84

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up a Golf R and a Lumia 950XL on the same day. Both were pre-ordered. Both are awesome individually, but do not work together. The car has three options: CarPlay, AndroidAuto and Mirrorlink. My new phone works with none of these. Complete and immediate disappointment.

p51mustang

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Indeed, also getting a VW.

After being a staunch supported of WP, I'm now starting to have my doubts and seriously considering getting an Android phone. My 920 contract expired a year ago and I've been waiting patiently for what has become the 950. Seems like WP may just fail at the final hurdle.

Only other option is to purchase the cheapest Android device with a GPS that I can find and keep it permanently in the car. No need fo a sim card, all apps can be loaded/updated via wi-fi.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Ha no I don't mean miracast :)

Mirrorlink is a integration of phone and car entertainment. I thought windows phone already had it but I was proven wrong when I connected it to my new car. I know Android has it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J5KNaaVRoQ

HTC Phone in a VW Golf

I was also interested in this feature, but after watching that video I can't imagine why would anyone want to do some of those things via that buggy interface when you can do that stuff much faster with your phone.... that you need to have to connect for this anyway. If anything having the Continuum feature set up with your cars monitor would offer a way better experience Imo.

p51mustang

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I was also interested in this feature, but after watching that video I can't imagine why would anyone want to do some of those things via that buggy interface when you can do that stuff much faster with your phone.... that you need to have to connect for this anyway.

Remember, that was Android used with MirrorLink. Using WP with MirrorLink, my primary purpose would be the GPS so I would not need to look down at my phone, but just glance at the main radio interface. With WP, MS Maps would be offline, so no data use/delay like with Google Maps.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Remember, that was Android used with MirrorLink. Using WP with MirrorLink, my primary purpose would be the GPS so I would not need to look down at my phone, but just glance at the main radio interface. With WP, MS Maps would be offline, so no data use/delay like with Google Maps.

I agree that's why I mentioned the continuum feature of W10. I came across this JVC that has an actual HDMI in port. I'm thinking of installing a display dock to it (or similar device) and set it up nicely into my cars (Nissan Rogue) dashboard. Might even go for a wireless adapter but I have to do some more research on that.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KWV31BT-R...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3382203

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Sorry guys but nor mirror link for wp. I run my own stereo shop and been in 12 volt for over 15 years. Have beta tested for Sony and kenwood USA on most of there multimedia units and none have any plans for wp mirror link! All efforts are now going to Apple car play which I may add is awesome and android auto which also works real good . So for wp..... You have Bluetooth and have to admit cortana works good but nothing like car play . I switched because wp has no presence in 12 volt and that's the industry I'm in.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Sorry guys but nor mirror link for wp. I run my own stereo shop and been in 12 volt for over 15 years. Have beta tested for Sony and kenwood USA on most of there multimedia units and none have any plans for wp mirror link! All efforts are now going to Apple car play which I may add is awesome and android auto which also works real good . So for wp..... You have Bluetooth and have to admit cortana works good but nothing like car play . I switched because wp has no presence in 12 volt and that's the industry I'm in.

A device with HDMI in and Continuum would work wonderfully. It's absolutely 110% doable. Wouldn't even take much effort to be honest. Get an aftermarket radio with HDMI in and that's it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3