Will the Microsoft Band display unicode characters (Japanese, Chinese, etc.)?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Wondering if anyone has been able to try this or has heard about this.

For those wanting to try it, here's a simple Japanese sentences you can copy-paste and send to yourself:

これは簡単な日本語のテストです。
(This is a simple Japanese Test).

Thanks!
Jeffrey

Shahin Shayandeh

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Apparently it is not supporting unicode at the moment. I tested this on my friend's Band by sending him a text with Persian (Farsi) characters. Unfortunately the sentence showed up as squares. :unhappy:

jdshaffer

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much for trying. (I'm the original poster).

It's a shame to see so many new "smartbands" arriving at marking, and yet they can only display Latin characters.
The Razer Nabu is "supposed" to support asian characters, though I wonder if it will ever make it to market.

Thank you again.

-- Jeffrey

Jiggle Squirt

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I was about to ask the same question. I communicate with Chinese people and I need to be able to see notifications on the watch in Chinese. This is very sad! So many people who use only English don't realize that Unicode support is absolutely critical not only for international sales but also for the scores of people who live in the US and just happen to have international friends, family, or business connections. :eck:

Also, my Lumia phone is in Japanese, and even though I set the country to the US, I can't log in to Microsoft Health. I'm not going to risk buying the Band until I know it works with other languages. I study language so I can be a language teacher, so this is a bummer for me. I really wanted the Band. Maybe a software fix will do. Microsoft, please do not neglect your customers' needs to communicate on a device intended for communication!!

ジェフリー

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers