Are the mainboards of Lumia 930 and Icon interchangeable?

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I got tired of waiting of Lumia Icon's WP8.1 update and purchased a Lumia 930 with a broken display. Gonna swap its mainboard to my Icon if they're interchangeable. I live in Finland so I don't need CDMA radio at all. Are those mainboards technically interchangeable?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So I obviously am not in charge of your financial decisions, but shouldn't you have asked this BEFORE you bought?

Also, to answer your question, since one is CDMA and one is GSM, I'm going to make a completely uneducated guess and say no. I imagine its something similar to how Intel and AMD work

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Like I wrote over there, I'm not using CDMA radio of my Lumia Icon at all. It's purely GSM & 3G.

The thing I wanted to know is whether the connectors will be the same etc. The mainboards seem to be similar in the photos but how's it in reality?

Talking about financial decisions: the phone was so cheap and still under warranty that I might as well purchase a brand new display package and replace the broken one.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Like I wrote over there, I'm not using CDMA radio of my Lumia Icon at all. It's purely GSM & 3G.

The thing I wanted to know is whether the connectors will be the same etc. The mainboards seem to be similar in the photos but how's it in reality?

Talking about financial decisions: the phone was so cheap and still under warranty that I might as well purchase a brand new display package and replace the broken one.

I would think replacing the screen would be far easier than trying to swap mother boards. Can't believe you invested good money before you had the answers to these questions. Good Luck.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia 930 doesn't have CDMA, while you don't need it, that proves at least one difference in the mainboards between the Icon and the 930. After that, they could be very similar, or they could be completely different.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Best thing to do is google it then switch to images as there will be pics and drawings of both devices then you can see for yourself. Bear in mind the wires to connect to other components in the motherboard may be located in a different place with each device so keep an eye out for that. However I would be very interested to see pics of you doing the swap as I am sure most people on here would too. And it may help someone thinking of doing this too. Good luck and keep us updated with pics too 😊

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, no pics since I already swapped the mainboards. But the answer: yes, they're interchangeable 😊 Working just OK! 👍 This is written with my Lumia Icon which now has a Lumia 930 mainboard 😁

Last edited:

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Glad you were able to do it, confirms my suspicion that the phones are actually identical but the software image is different. Not unlike how you used to be able to flash international 920 ROMS to North American 920's to enable different bands (I know, not the same since both are GSM). I'm no expert, but I'd imagine Qualcomm radios (on the Snapdragon) can physically handle both CDMA and GSM/UMTS/LTE but they disable the CDMA capabilities in the image, either through software or physically disabling it. Given the AT&T and Verizon iPhones are now the same model (at least by model), I'd imagine this applies to their stand alone radios as well. Its simply cheaper to manufacture one product in mass instead of all the different variants.

Did you notice any differences when you swapped them?

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, I live in Finland so we don't have any CDMA network over here.

The biggest advantage was that my MMS messages started to work :)
They didn't work with Icon.
Otherwise the phone works like before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wasifl