Lumia 1520 or iPhone6?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi! I'm facing a debate.... My operator is offering me iphone6, however I've been a loyal wp user, I have one 1320 and one 635. I'm searching for a 1320 substitute with flagship quality. I want solid camera (stills and v?deo recording) mainly. I was thinking of buying the 1520 (selling the iphone6 that my operator is offering) but I am worried about that double tap issue that lumia 1520 has. About the camera, which will be better?

I love wp, but I also like ios, apps is not a problem at all, both os's have everything I want...
I want also a phone that will last as top notch for +/- 18 months...

What do you guis think?

Regards,
Vitor Correia

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
If you were buying you could probably get a 1520 and an Xbox One for the price of a 6 and I know what two things combined I would rather have :smile:

I have a 1520, can't say I have experienced any tap issues

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
This is going to be my opinion, but I would take the 1520. I have owned one for about a month now, and I have no issues with the tap/swiping issue. The camera in the 1520 offers a lot of the PureView features of the 1020 with the oversampling 20 MP camera, while the iPhone 6 doesn't even offer OIS unless you buy the 6+.

The 1520 also has a modern, fast processor with plenty of RAM that I would still consider to be "flagship" specs, even a year into the sales cycle, and less of the hardware limitations of the iphone, such as the inabililty to add extra storage if you need to. I have been nothing but happy with my purchase.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I've owned a 1520 since November 2013. It is a beast. The camera is fantastic. The battery life eats up the iphone 6.

If the choice is the 1520 or the iphone 6, then I would say 1520, provided you're not invested in apple - Apple has more and better apps, the camera is faster (by miles) and good enough. Battery is atrocious.

The 1520 should be compared to the iphone 6 plus. That's where things get difficult as that is the first phone that smashes the phablets, and has great battery life (an unknown for Apple).

On 18 months time you'll get the best return for your money on an Apple product - no question.

The 1520 had been around for a year, but it's still the best wp has offered, and it will be getting windows 10 - and hands down out is better than any other wp (pips the 930 as it has an SD card).

If you've not invested in ios and can't get an iphone 6 plus, then you really should pick up the 1520. Don't consider the iphone 6 unless you have ios apps. The battery life alone is a deal breaker!!!

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm a power user, always using my phone for something and my 1520 will last 2 days on one charge with no charging whatsoever in between. So fast, amazing screen, beautiful design. Just plain awesome

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
From WC writer, Mark Guim...

Head to head: iPhone 6 Plus vs Lumia 1520 camera samples | Windows Central

I'm showing you 6Plus because it has OIS and the "straight 6" does not. It's more fair as 1520 has OIS. High end Lumias also allow for taking DNG image files which no other phone does as far as I can tell. Others let you convert jpg over to digital files for use with post shot processing, but is that the same? At 16:9 aspect ratio the 1520 captures a 5MP jpg and a 16MP jpg or 16MP dng file. That high res image is sharp and twice the resolution of the 8MP iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. If you crop in for detail or post shoot edit, then 1520 can only be beat by the aging 1020 or the now out dated Pureview 808.

Until the next Lumia flagship launches; most likely 1520 will remain the best shooter on an up-to-date phone...

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm a Windows Phone fan, yet objectively I'd say go for iPhone 6. iOS works like a charm, fast, smooth, great display and full of apps. You can have the best of Microsoft and Google in one place as many other apps that are only present on iOS. Also depends on the storage version.. I'd only get an iPhone with 32GB plus. And yeah every app and game works perfect there. Now with Lumia you get a camera with better stills but that's it. I think that Windows needs to grow more. Really big hopes for Windows 10. And yes I'm a know it all about specs, phones, OS kind of guy so don't bother trying to comment with random comments biased to Windows Phone. I love it, but I except random issues that we get on WP and DPs and all that kind of stuff. Now if I wanted to be more practical I'd just go for iOS over Android and WP. At least for now. Maybe you can get the iPhone and put it side by side with WP you own and then make up your mind as you can probably sell your iPhone anyways.. :)

Last edited:

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a 1520 and I will tell u the double tap thing is ANNOYING! Still, I luv my Lumia and wouldn't give it up (I tried once but pulled it off eBay). So I guess its your preference now. I personally hate the iPhone 6 and the 6 plus. I think its cheap feeling. I actually like the 5s better.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I've owned everything from original iPhone through to 4S, then Note 2 & 3. I looked long and hard for my next phone. iPhone 6 or 6+ was ruled out - I don't like the way you are sucked into a closed eco system and the specs of the iPhone 6 are very poor compared to my year old Note 3. Samsung have too much bloatware and slow down after a few months. So I turned to windows phone.

Having had a 5.7" screen, I didn't want to go smaller. I tried (for 24hrs) the 1520 and could not live with it size wise. Hardware is superb, but it's just one step too big from a Note 3/4 size (overall).

I decided on the Lumia 930 - despite the smaller size, I have become use to the smaller screen again. If Microsoft made a 5.5inch phone, I would get it straight away. If you can manage the size of a 1520, get that, but it's like the iPhone 6+ - just a bit too big for comfortable pocketing.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
If 1520 is too big for someone only then go with iPhone 6/6+. Otherwise 1520 is best. If someone is habitual using phones greater than 5", then 1520 won't be a problem. I have 1320, it felt big only for a few days after the purchase, now I'm quite habitual with its size.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If 1520 is too big for someone only then go with iPhone 6/6+. Otherwise 1520 is best. If someone is habitual using phones greater than 5", then 1520 won't be a problem. I have 1320, it felt big only for a few days after the purchase, now I'm quite habitual with its size.

The iphone 6+ is very similar in size to the 1520. According to phone arena, the 1520 is about 4mm taller, and about 8 mm wider.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The iphone 6+ is very similar in size to the 1520. According to phone arena, the 1520 is about 4mm taller, and about 8 mm wider.

I recently placed my 1520.3 against an iPhone 6 + at a Best Buy. The 1520 is slightly larger around the edges. And significantly smaller in the bezel area. A lot of the front of (any) iPhone seems to be wasted real estate. They tout how slim iPhone 6 and 6 + are. That 1.7mm thickness differential doesn't seem much in the hand.

Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs. Nokia Lumia 1520 - GSMArena.com

Vitor Correia2

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys!

Thank you all for your replies. I decided to go for lumia 1520. 1520 will receive Windows 10, which is something I'm waiting for, and as I said, camera is one of the important things to me, so in this case, lumia wins.
I also have a very good deal for lumia 1520, it will cost me, brand new, 300?. Overall, I think the lumia will be a better deal, better specs for the things I want must, and in the end, my wallet thanks me... :)

Again, thank you all for your Support!

Regards,
Vitor Correia

Paul Stasik

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Easily the 1520. Better hardware, better functionality, better camera, and far more unique/stylish (people don't notice iphones anymore, but they will notice a 1520).

App support is still worse for us on the WP, but it sounds like you're already experienced with the OS.

Take it all away and just the camera is enough to prefer the 1520.

Vitor Correia2

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys! Final thoughts: I've already bought the 1520, and after had both the iPhone 6 and the 1520 in my hands, I have to say that I am really happy with my choice. Even in design, I like much more the 1520, not to say everything else, in which the 1520 is much better than the iPhone... Thank you all for the best decision I could have made...

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys! Final thoughts: I've already bought the 1520, and after had both the iPhone 6 and the 1520 in my hands, I have to say that I am really happy with my choice. Even in design, I like much more the 1520, not to say everything else, in which the 1520 is much better than the iPhone... Thank you all for the best decision I could have made...

Happy you like it :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3