Why does my screen go black when I try to call people?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I've had my Nokia Lumia 520 for a couple of months now, and just recently, it's started to go black when I place calls. The screen goes back to normal once the call ends, but I can never end the call myself. I can't put it on speaker, mute, etc. It's very frustrating, can somebody help?

bijuant

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi. If you have a screen protector just check whether it is peeled off in the top corner. If it is peeled the sensor is sensing it and making the screen black as if you are holding near your ears.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a problem with the proximity sensor. Did it get bumped or anything recently? Did you put a new case or screen protector on it? A poorly aligned or designed case/protector could interfere with the sensor as well.

Otherwise, sounds like warranty time :/

Adarsh Urs

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem after changing my phone's digitizer (screen) . As psiu_glen said it happens if something interfere with proximity sensor. So remove the screen protector or case if you added any of them recently.

But If phone's digitizer causing the problem then you can't remove it easily, so one work around is when screen goes black just lock the phone and unlock it (press the power button twice). Then phone will be ON for couple of seconds, in that period quickly switch the call to loud speaker mode, after that screen will be ON unless you turn off Loud speaker. So you can use the phone while on call.

Still it's annoying to switch to loud speaker when people around you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faiqarani