How do I stop the video app from keep asking for my Xbox sign in?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

How do I stop the video app from keep asking for my xbox sign in.

I simply don't have a xbox, so how do I get rid of the stupid nag screen every time I want to play a video?

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I stop the video app from keep asking for my xbox sign in.

What kind of video are you trying to play? Recorded by your camera, downloaded or videos you buy from the app? Check your MS account in settings and see if it needs to be synced.

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

"What kind of video are you trying to play?|"
Any videos. They all play just fine, but why do I get the "sign into your xbox account nag scree" every time I want to use the video app."

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

It's not an "MS email account" anymore (like a live or hotmail email account). Now, it's a "Microsoft account", which covers the whole ecosystem and makes everything work and sync together... On your phone, you'll need to add this Microsoft account under settings/ email and accounts. Then, once you have that set up, all the apps you get on your phone will be tied to that account. Also on Windows 8/8.1/10 PCs, you'll want to sign in with that same account so everything you do on your phone (apps, OneNote entries, OneDrive, etc) will be available on your PC as well. Same goes for Xbox.. Same Microsoft account (if you have one... if not, don't worry, i don't either! But I still have Xbox games on my Windows phone where I earn achievements etc)
Then, if you ever need to reset your phone, it'll ask you the first time it starts up for your Microsoft account, and you'll be able to restore all the apps, settings and contacts associated with that account. Get it now?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
In other words, the old Xbox live account and the Microsoft account are now one and the same. Doesn't matter if you have an Xbox or not... If you do ever get one, you'll sign in with your Microsoft account.

Anyway, once you set up your phone with a Microsoft account, you wont be asked for it when starting the video app anymore. (btw, that's the "Xbox video" app)

edit: I was thinking about it, and I'd actually suggest resetting your phone now, and start fresh with an assigned Microsoft account before you get too far along. The phone will ask you for one when it starts up the first time.

Check out this page for more info:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/sign-up-create-account-how

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi Both, thanks for the answers, I truly appreciate your help.

Under email and accounts I AM signed into my "Microsoft account", its the top thing on the screen under add an account. That's why I don't understand the repeated nag screen to sign into a xbox account every time I run the play video app, (plus I don't have a xbox account anyway),

When the phone was plain WP8 I had no problems, its only since the 8.1 upgrade that these nags screens have appeared. I'm going to see if its possible to down grade back to 8. At least I can still use the phone etc. If not I'm off back to an Android model. Never had these problems back then, and I just don't need this grief just to play a video. :)

Again thanks for the help it is appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99