Will a phone purchased from America work perfectly in Australia?

alacrityvirtue

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I have purchased a Lumia 830 from someone in South Australia, but I know find out he purchased it from Texas, the ad said he had only used it for a week, so I had presumed it was a week old.... Will it work here to it's full capacity with apps and with Australian networks etc? I have checked the IMEI number and it comes up unlocked. I have not yet paid for the item. It comes with an Australian power lead. I have a picture of the box with all info on it, says made in China. Is that where they are made?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Apps and smaller things shouldn't work any differently, save for Cortana, which is region specific.

Make sure its unlocked (not just whether its blacklisted from an IMEI search), if it was bought in the US, its almost guaranteed to have been AT&T branded, meaning it was locked to the AT&T network initially. Make sure it is unlocked, that is imperative.

Also worth noting, it relies on AT&T for official updates, meaning its likely going to add more time to an update's release.

As for working fully, it'll work, but the question becomes how well since the bands on a phone aren't unlimited and the bands used by carriers and regions vary widely. What carrier is you intended provider?

The question these days is more what is not made in China.

But ultimately, I'd go for a more suitable unlocked 830, which isn't AT&T tied.

alacrityvirtue

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I have checked the imei on a site and it says it is unlocked.. There is a WLAN number on the box too, will that tell me anything? How can I check AT&T? I will be using a third party provider, currently amaysim....

Last edited:

alacrityvirtue

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
How do I know if it is locked to AT & T if I checked the iemi number and it comes up as unlocked? Also the guy I am purchasing from said this: I used Lebara on it which uses the Vodafone network. It's a RM_984 like it says on the box. A global variant. Check what that means for the bands your network provides. LTE and one drive worked well.
I hope to move to a new provider, I was hoping to use the new 700mhz but that doesn't look like it will work with that.....

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I suspect it IS Factory Unlocked. I think AT&T offers it, but not in a specific configuration as a carrier branded device. Does it say AT&T anywhere on it? At any rate RM-984 is the only variant listed at gsm arena and they are pretty good about showing model variants locked to carriers. The other major carrier in the US is T-Mobile and the 830 lacks the right frequencies to play nice with their service - hence in the US 830 becomes AT&T by default. That is different from purpose built.

If you used a known IMEI verify site and it returns as Unlocked that means Factory Unlocked, they can't track SIM Unlocked by IMEI so far as I know. I trust Swappa to check IMEIs for me. http://swappa.com/?ref=mobilenations&data1=UUwpUvbUpU2888279

Here is the spec: Nokia Lumia 830 - Full phone specifications

2G NetworkGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G NetworkHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
4G NetworkLTE 800 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600

Here are the Radio Frequency by carrier tables for Australia: Mobile country code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Voda matches up so the sellers story checks out. Telestra looks good, Optus is fine, you can match up carriers on the table linked above...

Here is a table just on LTE: List of LTE networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

​I think this phone is a go.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
On the box (I can see it on a picture on the ebay page) has RM_984/Nokia 830
CVHK
WCDMA 1,2,5,8 GSMQUAD
LTE 1,3,7,8,20

Yeah... That all matches up with the frequencies I posted above...GSMQUAD is the 2G, WCDMA is the 3G and LTE is the 4G.

Here's the good news. CVHK = Country Variant Hong Kong. Country Variants are all Factory Unlocked, This is not a branded phone and will work with any SIM that connects at the right frequencies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon.enitron