Why are more than 100 mb apps needed to use wifi on my Lumia 730?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

why more than 100 mb apps need wifi in lumia 730

when i want to install games more than 100 mb it requires wifi

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: why more than 100 mb apps need wifi in lumia 730

This is a safety precautions because if you use cellular/mobile data it is possible you "burn" your data to fast so it can cost you more money than you expect. Wifi is free so the download size is not important.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
For people with large data plans or unlimited data, is there a way to bypass this and force everything to work cellular? Perhaps a setting toggle that can allow us to change back and forth?

I know on my desktop Windows 8.1, I can tell it whether or not to use metered connections for updating. It is a choice I have. I'd like it to be a choice on the phone as well.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My post above was tongue-in-cheek. I have my doubts that data usage has anything to do with it. I think it might be more related to the likelihood of a corrupted download or something like that. I'm not sure why Microsoft would care how much data you use. That's between you and your carrier.

For people with large data plans or unlimited data, is there a way to bypass this and force everything to work cellular? Perhaps a setting toggle that can allow us to change back and forth?

No, there's no way to bypass the restriction as far as I know. If you have another phone, there is a workaround. Take your SIM card, put it in the other phone, and turn on the WiFi hotspot. Connect your phone to it, and download away. Of course this will only work if you have another phone available and you can do internet sharing with it.

On Android a warning that pops up when you try to do a big download on mobile data, warning you of high data usage. But you can confirm and keep going. Something like that, or a toggle, is what I'd like to see in WP.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Basically Microsoft or Samsung indeed do not "care" how much data you use.
But if they did NOT put something in the phones to "prevent" overload of data they would get a sh.t load of complaints of people.
(the ones who "did not know" and where stuck with really big bills with al the problems arising from this). And I also hope that there are some laws which force them to put in this "protection".

But if you do not want to belief this than that is fine to me.

Bye the way in the store app under settings you also can put a tickmark to only download over wifi and it is stated that mobile data may bring additional cost.

But as always if you make it to difficult to switch it off (overload protection) some people complain and if you make it to easy to switch it off other people will complain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963