Why are my Here Drive/Maps horribly inaccurate?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Here Drive/Maps horribly inaccurate

My wife's 925 will throw her in circles and down roads that are completely unnecessary. We will punch in the same address in Here maps or in Drive and her device will give her a completely different route than my 925.

Both devices have had the Developer Preview installed and should be running the same updates, etc. This has been an on-going issue and I wondering if there is anything else I can do other than restoring the device.

OS version 8.10.14219.341 - Firmware 3051.50009.1439.0017

She has a new issue where her text messages and emails are not going through until she restarts the device (sending/receiving). This is completely intermittent, it will work mostly and without warning. The other day she sent like 5-6 and restarted her phone 3 days later and they all went through.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Here Drive/Maps horribly inaccurate

It probably seems like a lost art, but when i'm going somewhere i'm not familiar with i bring it up on a map before i leave. It's rare, but ALL phones eff-up occasionally. That holiday drive was ruined by poor preparation... no backup plan. A lesson learned.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

My wife's 925 will throw her in circles and down roads that are completely unnecessary. We will punch in the same address in Here maps or in Drive and her device will give her a completely different route than my 925.

Both devices have had the Developer Preview installed and should be running the same updates, etc. This has been an on-going issue and I wondering if there is anything else I can do other than restoring the device.

OS version 8.10.14219.341 - Firmware 3051.50009.1439.0017

She has a new issue where her text messages and emails are not going through until she restarts the device (sending/receiving). This is completely intermittent, it will work mostly and without warning. The other day she sent like 5-6 and restarted her phone 3 days later and they all went through.

Is her Location on? Is Here Drive authorized to use location? How is her signal lock (cellular)? How long does it take for a location lock and is that significantly longer than on your device?

I'm going to assume it is out of warranty...

Have you calibrated her compass lately?

Preview for Developers is un-optomized changes to the core OS. It may be interacting with an App she has that you do not... The next round of updates is incoming. Try taking her device off P4D after the next OTA which leaves her with optimized 8.1.1 + Lumia Denim. See how it acts.

As for the SMS.... Check her SMS settings. Request a new SIM from your carrier and see if that helps. It might help the mapping issue as well, but is probably a long shot in that regard...

factorx691

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site

Her location is on and Here Drive/Maps are enabled for location. Cellular signal in my area can be very poor, but she has similar results whether the signal is good or poor. Location lock is inline with my phone, last month when going down to Rhode Island neither of our phones wanted to lock on, until we powercycled.

Just outside of warranty but we do have T-mobile Jump if I need to get her a replacement device.

Not entirely sure how to calibrate the compass, it has not asked to do so since purchase. On either device.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

In HERE drive in SETTINGS > ROUTE SETTINGS are the settings of both phones the same? Like Route optimalisation.
Bye the way HERE DRIVE does not use the compass it uses GPS.
Otherwise some low end phones with no compass could not use car navigation.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Did you also download some maps . If you do that you do not need to depend on cellular connection because you can use the "offline maps".

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

It probably seems like a lost art, but when i'm going somewhere i'm not familiar with i bring it up on a map before i leave. It's rare, but ALL phones eff-up occasionally. That holiday drive was ruined by poor preparation... no backup plan. A lesson learned.
I did what you have mentioned. The problem is, it keeps giving out the wrong directions and keeps changing with different directions as I drive. On many occasions, it even ask me to turn when there's no obvious roads or paths nearby.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

I find the maps and directions are very accurate.
Your wife's phone has other problems that may be part of the Here problems.
Title does not reflect your problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon