Do you agree that Windows phone needs more landscape orientation?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
re:

Are you coming from another OS? Just curious, because those of us that have been on WP for a while barely notice it anymore. Portrait operations for the homescreen, XBOX Game and Music, and the other screens are just second nature now.

Anyone else annoyed with the lack of landscape? Heck, I often forget to go to landscape for other tasks I am so used to protrait. Even on my wife's Android.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely we do. The problem comes down to development.

On Android, the OS can almost automatically transform an app into landscape with few rendering issues. On WP, I don't even try to build things in landscape anymore because the portrait XAML renders horribly in landscape, typically requiring me to invest time into manually sizing xaml controls with c#.

saras112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Are you coming from another OS? Just curious, because those of us that have been on WP for a while barely notice it anymore. Portrait operations for the homescreen, XBOX Game and Music, and the other screens are just second nature now.

Anyone else annoyed with the lack of landscape? Heck, I often forget to go to landscape for other tasks I am so used to protrait. Even on my wife's Android.
No I use Windows phone as my primary OS

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

No I use Windows phone as my primary OS

I honestly have grown so used to it, I haven't even considered the downsides to not having better Landscape support. Thinking back to my first smartphones- a BlackBerry Curve and a Palm Pre Plus- I have really never had a smartphone as a daily driver that I used landscape for anything but to read a web site on my browser.

I must be in the vast minority. What do you miss about landscape, and what advantages would it give?

saras112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Re:

I honestly have grown so used to it, I haven't even considered the downsides to not having better Landscape support. Thinking back to my first smartphones- a BlackBerry Curve and a Palm Pre Plus- I have really never had a smartphone as a daily driver that I used landscape for anything but to read a web site on my browser.

I must be in the vast minority. What do you miss about landscape, and what advantages would it give?
Well I just think that landscape orientation gives more use of space.

Ek-Balam

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Mostly ergonomic for me. I much prefer to use my device two handed. In portrait mode, the "reach" is sometimes cumbersome to the top of the screen even with a 4" display. Luckily, most typing apps, browser and some games already support landscape mode. However, I think that a landscape mode home / tile screen option would be most welcome.

PS: Just because one might "just get used to something" does not mean that it is right or optimal. Some folks live near train tracks or busy roads. Eventually, they learn to tune it out...... still OK??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea