Why is my HereDrive application not working?

W

WPCentral Question

I have downloaded and installed Here Maps and Here Drive. It only allows me to search for destinations within Bucharest, although my navigation license is global.
Although I have a connection to a Wi-Fi network, and I should also be able to use this app offline, it says "can't get your route because your phone doesn't have a data connection".

How could I make it work?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I can't tell you why you're not able to lookup anything outside of Bucharest, but I can tell you why routing won't work without an internet connection. Offline simply means that the entire map data is stored on your device, hence not needing to be downloaded on the fly while driving, thus saving precious data. Routing on the other hand always requires an internet connection, as there might possibly be construction areas, traffic jams and whatnot that need to be considered in order to provide an appropriate route.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I can't tell you why you're not able to lookup anything outside of Bucharest, but I can tell you why routing won't work without an internet connection. Offline simply means that the entire map data is stored on your device, hence not needing to be downloaded on the fly while driving, thus saving precious data. Routing on the other hand always requires an internet connection, as there might possibly be construction areas, traffic jams and whatnot that need to be considered in order to provide an appropriate route.

To elaborate, you need to download OFFLINE maps ... or use your Data connection.

Go to SETTINGS >> APPLICATIONS >> MAPS >> Download MAPS, they
will then be available for OFFLINE use.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Sorry I have to disagree with this.
If you use downloaded maps than you do NOT have to have a data connection to plan your route.
Of course in this case you do not get traffic jams etc but you still can use it.
One other drawback however is if you try to find a destination without data connection you have to put the destination quit exact otherwise HERE does not find it.

Last edited:

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I have to disagree with this.
If you use downloaded maps than you do NOT have to have a data connection to plans your route.
Of course in this case you do not get traffic jams etc but you still can use it.
One other drawback however is if you try to find a destination without data connection you have to put the destination quit exact otherwise HERE does not find it.

Thanks for clarifying. I never got it to work fully offline, but as you pointed out, this might be because I didn't enter the information 100% accurate.

Oanna

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded from the beginning the necessary maps and despite this it won't allow me to find but places in Bucharest... this was my question. It says "maps available for offline navigation". What am I missing?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Do you type a place or address?
Does HERE drive find nothing or the wrong address or place?
Are you on data or wifi?
In Settings of HERE drive under internet connection (7th tile) do you allow data connection.

Oanna

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
It is on, I am typing a city on a map of Greece, for example, and I have the map of Greece downloaded. It shows the message in my initial post, although it should also work offline...I am on Wi-Fi. It finds Athens, but when I click on drive to, it doesn't navigate. It shows the above message, can't get your route because your phone doesn't have a data connection".

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I am a little confused in one post you say you only find places in Bucharest and in the next one you can find Athens. So please confirm below questions as clear as possible,
1 The wifi on your phone is switched on.
2 In Here drive you allow internet connection.
You have the offline maps from Greece downloaded.

You type in Athens and HERE finds Athens or HERE can not find it and asks use offline maps?
If Here asks use offline maps push YES.
But if you push DRIVE TO Here say's can't get your route because your phone doesn't have a data connection.

If you start HERE drive does it show the position were you are now?

Do you also have cellular data on your phone and what happens is you use cellular.

You do not mix up wifi with cellular data and in data sense you do not block cellular data?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss