Is there an app for compass in Nokia Lumia 635?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

is there an app for compass in Nokia Lumia 635

is there a compass app for Nokia Lumia 635 with Windows 8.1

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: is there an app for compass in Nokia Lumia 635

#1 Toolkit
https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/1-toolkit/1639c502-4896-4167-a77a-0ad46ff11223

It has a compass and oh so much more. Go crazy and pin tools all over your Start Screen. I love the ruler, protractor, converters, etc.

It is the Swiss Army Knife of Windows Phone Apps. Thank the Dev for the utility goodness and pay to remove the ads. He delivered plenty here and deserves the money.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

@RumoredNow: I have the Lumia 635, and there is not a proximity sensor on it, which means if I'm going to hold it to my ear, I need to manually lock the phone first to switch off the screen. Also, there is no sensor for ambient light.

I have just downloaded to test #1 Toolkit to see if the compass would work. When selecting the compass in the application, it gives a messages stating "Compass is not supported," followed by "Your phone does not support compass." Not sure why it was being redundant, but had to click "okay" twice.

This most definitely indicates that there is no compass sensor in the Lumia 635, so there cannot be a compass application that will work for the Lumia 635.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Movement and directional sensor seems to be the only one this phone has. Things were sacrificed to keep this phone affordable, from what I understand. Compass would have been nice for me, but my watch has a compass so I'm good.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Considering how my 520 screen would go black if a couple of inches away from my ear, I wasn't expecting it to work by "pressing it firmly to the ear." However, I just tested it, and the screen does go black by pressing firmly to the ear. Not just touching the ear, but really pressing it in to the point that it is almost uncomfortable for me. Once the screen goes black, I can back it off a half inch or so, and it will stay off. I guess there is something there, but not quite the same.

Definitely not the same type of sensor. I'm curious how that is implemented. I suppose possibly detecting some sort of sound bounce back into the speaker? Don't know.

Thank you for pointing that out, aurelian177.

Marquis de Faux

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Considering how my 520 screen would go black if a couple of inches away from my ear, I wasn't expecting it to work by "pressing it firmly to the ear." However, I just tested it, and the screen does go black by pressing firmly to the ear. Not just touching the ear, but really pressing it in to the point that it is almost uncomfortable for me. Once the screen goes black, I can back it off a half inch or so, and it will stay off. I guess there is something there, but not quite the same.

Definitely not the same type of sensor. I'm curious how that is implemented. I suppose possibly detecting some sort of sound bounce back into the speaker? Don't know.

Thank you for pointing that out, aurelian177.

It detects your face touching the screen when it is pressed against it.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Ah... similar to how the SP3 can detect the difference between the "pen" and your "hand" when writing. I understand now. Thanks for the clarification. Since I primarily use a Bluetooth headset to communicate, this won't be an issue most of the time for me anyway.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ah... similar to how the SP3 can detect the difference between the "pen" and your "hand" when writing. I understand now. Thanks for the clarification. Since I primarily use a Bluetooth headset to communicate, this won't be an issue most of the time for me anyway.

Actually, I suspect its any contact in the region where your ear would be touching that tells it to turn off...

I know a guy with a 635, for science!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheStivo