Seagate harddisk

viky1101

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a Seagate backup plus harddisk. Its memorr stands at 1tb and and I had used almost all of it. Just yesterday while watching a movie it stopped working. The movie froze and my lappie cldnt read the hard disk. I have tried on a diff lappie and my pc too but still no result. The light on hdd blinks but it cannot be read. Can anyone help why??

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Your hard disk has a problem.
It can be the harddisk itself or the "box" in which it's placed.
You could try to get the disk out and place it in another "box" maybe than it works if the "box" was the problem.
But only do above if the seagate is out of warranty.

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Those external harddisks often have a cooling problem, since they have no fan. Always take care there is an unobstructed airflow around it. Playing a movie is quite harddisk intensive! I hope for you it is the "box", but I'm afraid it's the electronics of the harddisk itself. Sometimes you can get some of your data from it using a special program. Or if you find an identical harddisk you can swap the electronics, since that is external.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
At the moment your harddisk does not work so it is already "broken". Changing electronics may help but it is not a guarantee that it solves the problem.
But if you change electronics take care of grounding because ESD (Electro Static Discharge) can damage electronics.
So it will be your call but here are some options.
1 If the data on the disc is very important go to a shop which is specialized in this kind of repair. (or find an experienced person)
2 If the data is not so important and the parts are much cheaper than a new disk try to repair it yourself
3 If the parts are nearly as expensive as a new disc buy a new disk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99