Why are there apps on desktop W10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

There is apparently a "tablet mode" for windows 10, but there seems to be no "desktop mode" for real PC's. (Big box, mouse, keyboard, real monitor, etc.)
I am totally puzzled that real computers are littered with baggage from smartphones, and there is no way to get rid of it. I don't want ANY "apps" on a real computer, and it's like they don't understand what a desktop machine is anymore. As it stands I would not put it on a real computer like this.

What are they up to? What are they thinking? Will future builds get rid of this nonsense for real computers? I am hoping so, but I am really, really puzzled why a real computer has a desperation to be a smartphone. Does anyone know what is going on with this? Clues? Insight? Looking forward to hearing the story.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If you're referring to the recent January 9926 build, it's important to keep in mind that it's a very early build. Of course you'll be able to disable or uninstall whatever you don't want or need on a traditional PC when the retail OS finally ships. With more and more PC/tablet/Ultrabook/hybrid devices being sold over traditional Desktop PCs nowadays, the "apps" are necessary. The advantage of these apps are that they are "universal", in that they will sync the same information across all of your signed in devices (PC, tablet, phone, Xbox console etc). This enables developers to write code for one "app" and have it run across a wide variety of devices of all screen sizes. So what you're seeing in the Windows 10 tech preview are not really just "phone apps", but Windows 10 apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre