W10 - can you remove the app store? What is the way forward?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I am the guy that conceptually objects to "apps" on a workstation, and is testing out W10. I should probably sign up here since there is not much information out there. Or maybe not. It might be too late. My question is more of a follow up:

Mr Ed seemed to indicate that the entire point of W10 is that smartphone apps get ported to the desktop and are called "universal apps" -Which I want no part of.

Can you get rid of the entire app experience? I tried to delete it (store, and apps), but it, along with one drive, and all that sync stuff I don't want, seems undetectable. (If I want my smartphone to talk to my computer I'll plug it in...)

Are they bananas? Forcing the leper colony* of the Windows (Phone...Shhh!) Store, and tiles and Microsoft accounts are everything I DON'T want in a desktop, on a real computer. For me, none of this works out. Game over.

I don't know what to do. Most... No, all of my technology, is due for replacement, and it looks like I have nowhere to go. I want no part of Google/linux/android, or Apple, or (recent) Microsoft. What are we left with? Slide rule and abacus?
I know that there are a lot of people out there like me, and I don't know what to do. It all looks like a lost cause. (Not that I even care at this point, but it also looks like we might need to prepare for the death of Microsoft.) I have been desperately firing off feedback trying to head off disaster, but it now looks like they are married to this titanic of a concept. Ugh. It might not even matter.

*And yes, I own not one, but two recent Lumias. Can't stand them, or the tiles, or the store, or the forced Microsoft account stuff, or the cloud stuff (Guess who doesn't believe in the cloud?) or being treated like a leper every time I go into a technology store for accessories and help. I intend to get rid of them at the first oppritunity, and I might just have to go back to a dumb phone, because It seems like a dumbphone and Windows 7 is the path to the future. I am stunned that things look like a dead end. Can this really be it?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to say that, but you, Sir, are a dinosaur. ;) I think you have exactly two choices:

1) stick with old technology which will sooner or later vanish anyways
2) deal with it the way things are. That's the future of computing, whether you like it or not.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Even you can get a silly Nokia 225/6 and install Windows 2000 or XP on yo PC

Absolutely - to be honest, I still use an IBM ThinkPad (at least 10 years old if not more) as a typing machine when I don't want to be distracted by the internet or other apps. I still own a w8 tablet however and definitely think windows 10 is the way forward.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
You need to get with the times, lol. Modern apps are getting powerful to the point that they're just modern programs. Look at the new One Note app, it's powerful and useful. So either stick with out dated software, or embrace change. Personally, I love everything about the new direction Microsoft has taken. I open the new Photos app on my Pc (running latest build) and all the photos from my Windows Phone and my PC show. It's just fantastic! I love the cloud.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism