Bank of America now quitting Windows Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Market share my friend. Market share. At least this is the excuse banks use to justify pulling resources from development.

What if Windows gains more users? Do they start from scratch? Wouldn't that cost more in the long run? The way these companies do business now is really questionable. Everything is all about smartphone market share and not number of users. A lot of people being left out in the cold.

For the record, I installed this app because it wouldn't let me pay my bill from it. I'd just use the website. I just reinstalled out and will leave a review for it since they've fixed that.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So apparently they still have a Windows 8 app which leads me to believe that they're getting rid of it to make a Universal app. It would make literally no sense to only support big Windows.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Market share my friend. Market share. At least this is the excuse banks use to justify pulling resources from development.

Not really an excuse, WP is only a few percentage points (if that) of US smartphone users and at last count it was decreasing. After years of the platform not going anywhere it really shouldn't surprise anyone. And considering the lack of attention this platform has got from Microsoft over the years up to this point I cant say I blame them.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
BoA members... Log in via browser and click the "contact us" link at the bottom of your summary page. Select "Mobile and Text Banking" from the drop down menu. Save the phone contact information to disseminate to others. After you click sign out, you will get a survey where you can express your displeasure. Be sure to follow up with a phone call; be polite, but let them know that they are no longer any more convenient or attractive to you than any other bank without a mobile deposit function and you are seriously considering moving all your funds...

View attachment 95009

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Market share isn't a valid excuse for a bank. Through fees and the interest rate of my Chase credit card, I have probably just about paid for the cost of the Windows Phone app. A bank is about convenience to the customer. It's bad enough when someone won't develop for Windows Phone, it's a whole other issue when they choose to end support for their existing app. I fully expect to have my Chase card paid off so I can close my account before the app is officially turned off.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Market share isn't a valid excuse for a bank. Through fees and the interest rate of my Chase credit card, I have probably just about paid for the cost of the Windows Phone app. A bank is about convenience to the customer. It's bad enough when someone won't develop for Windows Phone, it's a whole other issue when they choose to end support for their existing app. I fully expect to have my Chase card paid off so I can close my account before the app is officially turned off.

It's more than just user base; it's ROI. Any good business considers it. If it's worth it, go for it. If it isn't, don't. It's quite simple in theory. Chase & BoA know how many WP users use their app, and they probably have a good estimate of how many will leave their bank because of it. It's a calculation based on educated guesses.

I hate to break it to you, but the ones making the call are probably better at making those decisions than you or anyone else here would be. The bean counters have their jobs because they're good at what they do. I would venture to say they know what they're doing, in spite of your skepticism.

mschmi02

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
BoA members... Log in via browser and click the "contact us" link at the bottom of your summary page. Select "Mobile and Text Banking" from the drop down menu. Save the phone contact information to disseminate to others. After you click sign out, you will get a survey where you can express your displeasure. Be sure to follow up with a phone call; be polite, but let them know that they are no longer any more convenient or attractive to you than any other bank without a mobile deposit function and you are seriously considering moving all your funds...

View attachment 95009

I didn't get a survey option, but I am writing a snail mail letter to this effect. The addy:

Bank Of America
PO Box 25118
Tampa, FL 33622-5118

Told them I'm moving to WF where at least their web app supports camera deposits, yada yada

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
After my phone call.. or rather two days later (today) I got a survey about the call because I pressed for wanting a follow up.

I made sure to politely rip them a new one there as well.

I'm shopping around and Ally looks pretty good. No Wells Fargo where I live so I might as well go all in with eSupport.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I installed the desktop application and got the message saying that the app would be discontinued. I sent feedback via the app and explained how I use the application and plan to continue now that I know it exists (their website defaults to loading iTunes app store on mobile device) and they don't appear to have a Windows link. Maybe its my browser setting but I don't see it.

Last edited:

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

I was coming here to post this! I woke up and was using Cortana to see what restaurants were suggested at random and saw on news "Dumb move: Chase and Bank of America pull Windows phone support" LOL

The comments are encouraging. Lots of support. The author even commented so:

"Author

Dave Altavilla, Contributor 1 hour ago

"I have to say, I am a little surprised at all the support for Windows Phone here. Good stuff."

Last edited:

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I am really bummed about this. BofA's mobile website does not work on my 920 with DP. So, after March I will have no mobile access to my account. Now I have yet another reason to hate Bank of America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6