Phone upgrade from 920 - now or wait?

jeetjani

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The big question is that should I upgrade from my 920 to 930/935 or 1520 now; or to wait for the next flagship that likely will come with Windows 10? Some details are below, please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

-
I've had my 920 since early 2013 and unfortunately after replacing the digitizer a few times and having heavy usage it is not performing all that well. There is often some processing delay, dedicated camera button is not working, front camera is crap (920 issue long term), and much more. The devices now have much better processing power plus not as bulky as this brick...
-

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If the L920 is not suiting your needs any more and you feel you cannot wait then upgrade.

Which phone will come down to what suits you best. The L1520 is simply the best all rounder Lumia WP around. It's king. I personally don't want a phone that big but if that doesn't bother you than get a L1520.

If not than the L930.

Otherwise, wait.

manzanotti

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I cracked last week and bought a 930 as an upgrade to my 920. I figure that I can always sell it if a must-have flagship is released at the end of this year.

So far, I'm very happy with the 930, battery life is better for me (though I still appear to use some apps that just make the CPU go mad and eat the battery). Screen is gorgeous, though I'm still getting used to having 6 columns of tiles instead of four, not sure I really want that many! Not had a need to take any photos properly, though I did demo it to a colleague, and it is a lot faster than my 920 at starting up and taking multiple shots.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm kinda in quandry, about upgrading to the 930. Was at the IT centre, feeling up the display unit and almost took the plunge until I saw the Surface Pro3. Gawd... Looks like I'll just delay any decision until after W10 officially arrives and start planning for a SP3. ...

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same debate.

By the time my upgrade was up, the 1520 was really difficult to find, and the 930 was soo little different to justify the huge cost. Nothing else comes close to an upgrade from a 920.

I've just ordered a refurbed 930 as a stop gap, until something interesting comes along.

To be honest, i thing the phone market (iOS, WP, Android, etc) has plateaued. The new phones might have more memory, faster, etc, but theres really not much that convinces me its a major upgrade to my 2.5yo 920, certainly at the stupid costs for a flagship.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same debate.

By the time my upgrade was up, the 1520 was really difficult to find, and the 930 was soo little different to justify the huge cost. Nothing else comes close to an upgrade from a 920.

I've just ordered a refurbed 930 as a stop gap, until something interesting comes along.

To be honest, i thing the phone market (iOS, WP, Android, etc) has plateaued. The new phones might have more memory, faster, etc, but theres really not much that convinces me its a major upgrade to my 2.5yo 920, certainly at the stupid costs for a flagship.

Depends what you're after.

I want good battery life in a decent size package. I still want a good camera. I want an attractive phone. I want more RAM, storage and speed.

I wouldn't mind a finger print scanner for better security. I like the idea of waterproof and dust proof.

However, the biggest downturn for me regarding the L930 was the battery.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I am still using the Lumia 1020 and Samsung Galaxy S5 as my daily drivers. Windows 10 for phones is here to stay after RTM. So waiting for a Windows 10 flagship phone. The RTM timing will be just right for my recontract.

​Also using 2 Lumia 920's as my back up phones.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I want good battery life in a decent size package. I still want a good camera. I want an attractive phone. I want more RAM, storage and speed.

I completely agree with all of them. The point is value.

There are phones that hit all of the above, but they are like ?400+, thats an awful lot of money, with very little change to my day to day usage. Maybe its me, but that much money to save the occasional 1/2 second on a loading screen, seems silly.

I need something big, like a 1020 successor, or something that runs full windows, something that changes the game.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree with all of them. The point is value.

There are phones that hit all of the above, but they are like ?400+, thats an awful lot of money, with very little change to my day to day usage. Maybe its me, but that much money to save the occasional 1/2 second on a loading screen, seems silly.

I need something big, like a 1020 successor, or something that runs full windows, something that changes the game.

I buy phones I like. Cost isn't an issue for me really. My thoughts look at cost per use. I use my smartphone everyday for about two years, if I get a good phone a little longer.

So taking ?500 / 2 years of use is less than ?0.70 per day. If I get more than 2 years I'm happy. Unfortunately most people don't look at it that way.

I don't buy phones when they first come out I normally wait a touch for a bit of a price drop or for a discount option.

I think a good all around flagship phone is needed on WP by MS. I have nothing against a 1020 successor but I think a 'common' phone will attract more people.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't mind a finger print scanner for better security. I like the idea of waterproof and dust proof.

A fingerprint scanner brings worse security. Convenience yes, but lower security:

Cops are legally permitted to hold your finger on a scanner and unlock your phone. They are not permitted to torture a PIN from you.

A bad guy can force your finger to touch your phone easier than get a PIN. Heck, you can be dead and they can still unlock a fingerprint device.

When not with you, well PIN and fingerprint locks are both very effective. Especially with auto phone wipe after X failures.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
A fingerprint scanner brings worse security. Convenience yes, but lower security:

Cops are legally permitted to hold your finger on a scanner and unlock your phone. They are not permitted to torture a PIN from you.

A bad guy can force your finger to touch your phone easier than get a PIN. Heck, you can be dead and they can still unlock a fingerprint device.

When not with you, well PIN and fingerprint locks are both very effective. Especially with auto phone wipe after X failures.

Where do you live??? o_O

To worry about such things that much. Seen too many movies???

Shinigami910

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

Whats wrong with the battery on the 930?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Ah I see. I'm going to be getting one on the O2 refresh program so I can if i want upgrade it early to the new windows phone due out. Bit need to wait for my Vodafone contract to expire first :/

I'm sure it will be fine. I was just a bit concerned with it when it first came out and heard the battery was nothing spectacular. After having all the issues I did with my L920 I just didn't feel it was worth the risk for me.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I buy phones I like. Cost isn't an issue for me really. My thoughts look at cost per use. I use my smartphone everyday for about two years, if I get a good phone a little longer.

I completely agree with that. The problem is finding that phone.

The 930 is basically a 920 with a couple of extra cores, screen is a bit better, but loses glance. The 1520 seems to be a 930 with a bigger screen. From a hardware perspective, i don't see anything revolutionary in iOS/Android either. The iPhone is a beautiful piece of kit, but soo much money for a 6+ with 32gb. I like the latest Sony flagships, but again, soo much money, and nothing actually that different.

The 1020 is the last phone that made me really drool and want to get rid of the 920.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree with that. The problem is finding that phone.

The 930 is basically a 920 with a couple of extra cores, screen is a bit better, but loses glance. The 1520 seems to be a 930 with a bigger screen. From a hardware perspective, i don't see anything revolutionary in iOS/Android either. The iPhone is a beautiful piece of kit, but soo much money for a 6+ with 32gb. I like the latest Sony flagships, but again, soo much money, and nothing actually that different.

The 1020 is the last phone that made me really drool and want to get rid of the 920.

I got my Z3 for a very good price so I'm not complaining at all. It's wonderful phone and I really like it. Battery is killer and the phone is very nice. The minute I held one I knew I wanted one.

I still own my L920. I plan to check out W10 with it. I plan to keep on top of WP still. When I'm ready for my next phone I'll judge what to get then. Until now I'm happy with what I have. :)

When we had the poll about who you would like to see make a WP, I voted Sony.

WP on Sony would equal awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClareceKeard