Use Upgrade on iPhone, sell it when new Windows Flagship arrives?

kilgore walleye

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So my 920 died a little while ago. I chugged along with it but it just wasn't receiving all calls or texts and service was almost nonexistent. I upgraded to 1520 but returned it because I was just fumbling it all the time. Then I bought a cheap 630 ($50), which I've been using to get me through until the next windows flagship, but I feel like I'm wasting my ATT upgrade. I don't plan on leaving ATT because I'm in a family plan and still have unlimited data, so I don't mind being on contract. But my contract was up in November and I feel like I'm losing money every month because I'm paying for a subsidized phone in my bill, but don't actually have a new phone. I'm also going on my honeymoon and would like a new phone with a nice camera for pics. So since it doesn't look like a new WP10 device is coming until the fall, this is my question:

Do I upgrade to a popular/easily-sell-able phone like the iPhone 6 that would hold it's value, then sell it for $400+ on the private market when a new WP10 flagship arrives? Has anyone ever thought about doing this??

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Not a bad idea. New iPhones seem to be the best choice for holding their value. Plus, you get to play with a different ecosystem, in Apple/iOS. It will still obviously cost you when it comes time for buying your new WP Flagship, outright. Probably $700-800. Just depends if that's worth it to you for a few months with a new device.

Although, even though we know new flapship(s) are coming, who knows what/when AT&T will carry.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I did that, although I wasn't after a WP. I wanted a Nexus 6 on Verizon, which they don't yet carry. I used my upgrade for an iPhone 6, sold it as new, and used the cash to buy the Nexus 6 outright. It worked out great!

I sold my iPhone new, but you'll be using yours. As long as you take good care of it, you should still get a good price for it. It wouldn't hurt to put it in a case and/or install a screen protector. If, when you sell it, you can advertise as being in a case/screen protector since Day 1, you will likely get a better price.

The iPhone's resale value is excellent. That's why I chose that for an upgrade to flip. I looked at trending sales prices and calculated that an iPhone would give me the best return.

kilgore walleye

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies folks. I never thought about just buying the phone and leaving it in the box. If you sold a phone, new or used, how did you sell it? craigslist? or something like Gazelle? What kind of return did you get for it?

When my sister got her iPhone 6 in the fall, she got a huge bill credit from ATT. Are they still doing anything like that? That would sweeten the pot even more.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
You're not "wasting" an upgrade if you don't use it immediately. You are saving either $25 or $15 per month on the bill, depending on how much data is on that shared plan.

Unless something has changed, AT&T bills you "on contract" pricing unless you personally change it. Meaning, if your contract is up, you're still paying the subsidize fee unless you change your plan. So you either need to upgrade ASAP or change your plan when your contract expires.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs