How to connect phone to pc using WiFi?

kravaN

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
How can I connect my Lumia 535 to my Windows 8.1 PC using WiFi at home? I want to be able to access drives/folders/files in my PC without having to connect through USB and transfer/syncing. For example I can open a movie file directly and watch on my phone. I used to use a blackberry z10 and this feature was quite simple.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not currently aware of a way to do this. You will need to use your USB cable to connect to your phone. The only wireless alternative I can think of is with an PC that has Windows 8 or 8.1 on through the OneDrive app.

kravaN

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
The phone software for the PC allowed my blackberry to connect through wifi, and I can indicate any drive/folder to be allowed access. This even allowed me to connect from anywhere through the internet so long as my PC at home is turned on. I haven't tried yet, but maybe an app like remote desktop access? Another possibility is how to connect/join my homegroup which is enabled at home (join a home network)? This should mean that any folder/files that are shared can be accessed, shouldn't it?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
How can I connect my Lumia 535 to my Windows 8.1 PC using WiFi at home? I want to be able to access drives/folders/files in my PC without having to connect through USB and transfer/syncing. For example I can open a movie file directly and watch on my phone. I used to use a blackberry z10 and this feature was quite simple.

try EASY TRANSFER or just harvest the proxy from your WiFi connection, then point your PC browser to it.

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
No what I suggest is install remote desktop app and enable the same in PC then fill in the details in the app about your PC and then you can connect and use your PC in the phone ..... Couple it with another app called voicewake lite which helps in turning on PCs connected to the same WiFi and turn on access and switch off your comp from mobile ..... Been doing it and works flawlessly remote desktop - http://www.google.co.in/url?q=http:...8QFjAF&usg=AFQjCNHb8rLAEqXi-xuFGXg3x31sDXzrbA voicewake -- http://www.google.co.in/url?q=http:...UQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNFzhUrke7-3Mqoozi6cG5pklHbmAg

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
No what I suggest is install remote desktop app and enable the same in PC then fill in the details in the app about your PC and then you can connect and use your PC in the phone ..... Couple it with another app called voicewake lite which helps in turning on PCs connected to the same WiFi and turn on access and switch off your comp from mobile ..... Been doing it and works flawlessly remote desktop - RemoteDesktop | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) voicewake -- VoiceWake Lite | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (India)

YEAH, that sounds easier

kravaN

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
OK, I thought it was going to be easy. I've installed Remote Desktop in both my phone and PC (desktop + metro), followed steps to allow remote access, but have yet to succeed. I read somewhere that I need to use static IP?

What about my phone's "Device Hub"? My PC is listed as a device but can never succeed, saying I'm not connected to the internet... sigh

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
OK, I thought it was going to be easy. I've installed Remote Desktop in both my phone and PC (desktop + metro), followed steps to allow remote access, but have yet to succeed. I read somewhere that I need to use static IP?

What about my phone's "Device Hub"? My PC is listed as a device but can never succeed, saying I'm not connected to the internet... sigh

My comment was SARCASTIC, does that look easier?

install EASY TRANSFER, very simple, goes both ways

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Since you took my route I shall go on and help you ...

Pre requisite- system should support remote procedure call nto supported by windows 7 home premium or 8 home premium
Step 1 install remote desktop app on phone
next click on + sign once you open the app

On the computer under control panel --network and sharing --click on ethernet for the active internet connecton --- and click details get Ip address
also under System in control panel click on remote settings and allow remote connection to this desktop must be checked

In the app
Enter the credentials you use to login and done.

It should connect !!!!!!!!!!!

and for voice wake install the app and then enable Bios wake on lan by using the following link ( How-To Geek Explains: What is Wake-on-LAN and How Do I Enable It? ) and then enter the information of the modem and other things which are available under control panel --network and sharing --click on ethernet for the active internet connecton --- and click details after entering and saving switch off comp go to app connect phone to same wifi and then click and see the magic !!!!

See screen shot attached

P.S Hope you try this method its really awesome after the setup is done click of a button you have a frikkin computer on your mobile screen

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150220_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20150220_0002.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 8

kravaN

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
You're right, it worked! This means I need to set up Static IP for future sessions. Would this method (of just typing in the IP address) work when not using the same WiFi? Even using mobile data?

However, after trying it out on a 5" touchscreen, Remote Desktop is not as smooth and practical as I hoped it be. Going back to my experience on my Z10, my PC was just like another cloud storage easily accessible using file manager, as easy as connecting to OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.

To MDK22: I've tried Easy Transfer and successfully opened my phone contents using my PC's browser, but not the other way around.

kravaN

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Just an update, PC Remote Pro is a better alternative. More features, easier to navigate. Still, I wish I could view/edit files on my device instead of my PC. It'd be great if I could watch a movie without having to copy the file.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Install HFS HTTP Server on your PC. Its the companion .exe for PC File Download. You don't need the app on your phone, but it's here.

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=6721b4f4-fd65-4ae5-923d-74183543d327

It allows you to designate folders to share from your PC to other devices on your Wi-Fi network. Open IE and add the URL the server program shows you (complete with port #), the browser shows you the folders you designated and the files in them. If it's a file WP can open, including office docs, tap it and you're good to go. Great for videos and music. Also the best/easiest way to stream from your PC over local network. I believe works over the internet, but not sure. Try it and let me know how well it works for you.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Also, PC Remote Server is a great app for what it does, very immersive controls, in fact I bought the pro version. If all you need is to replicate a mouse & keyboard, Cool Remote is a better option IMO. I say this because you get left/right click fields, good scrolling and the keyboard is nice. It's also free. Check it out too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorGabl