Why won't my Windows phone 8 send or receive short code sms?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

my windows phone8 wont send or receive short code sms

any 5 digit short code that i used to get messages from wont work since i got windows phone 8 yesterday. when i try and send message to a 5 digit number i get a text that says sorry, this service is not available for your service plan.
i havent changed service plans, i have straight talk. unlimited everything. it worked on my previous phone, and i dont know how to fix problem

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It works fine for me as well. I have AT&T.
wp_ss_20150228_0001.png

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm suspecting you may need to tweak your MMS settings (even though it is SMS)... Straight Talk MMS settings can be fussy on non-iOS or non-Android handsets. It could possibly be your APN settings as well, but those usually configure fine with SIM insert.

Test this. Can you send/receive picture mail?

If possible, please sign up for the forum so you can post replies here. Straight Talk, but what style? ATT/T-Mo SIM, Vzw/Sprint compatible? What?

OnkyDonkey

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
I know you posted this a longggg time ago but can you help me now? I can receive short code texts but cannot reply, cannot send picture texts and I cannot receive international short code texts... I really don't understand what I am supposed to do. I have a lumina 550 phone and I'm in NZ.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I know you posted this a longggg time ago but can you help me now? I can receive short code texts but cannot reply, cannot send picture texts and I cannot receive international short code texts... I really don't understand what I am supposed to do. I have a lumina 550 phone and I'm in NZ.

For the short codes, I would suggest contacting your carrier to see what's going on. As for picture texts, go to Settings->Network & wireless->Cellular+SIM and add a new MMS APN to match your carrier's settings. Save that one and tap apply.

You can find your carrier's settings by going to their website and seeing what they have there or use Bing and search for " [Your carrier name] MMS APN settings".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria