Certain (some, not all) live tiles stop updating after ~24 hours of uptime - why?

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone. I have a Lumia Icon and I've been struggling with this issue for the past few months. I had hoped that with the official 8.1.1/Denim release it would be fixed. However, even after a reflash with the official Denim ROM, it still does the same thing.

I'm still trying to figure out what it is exactly, but it SEEMS like apps that require location information, such as weather (blue skies, weather flow), as well as the step counter in MSN health stop updating 18-24 hours after the phone has been restarted . They work as expected up till that point, updating approximately every hour, then they just stop (unless the app is launched and the tile is manually refreshed). Not only that, but they stop at the same time. And again, not all of them - I don't believe this is a general issue with background tasks on my phone since most of the live tile apps continue to work, such as nextgen reader and my system uptime tile.

My only idea is that maybe I have too many apps hitting the location services, but I recently reset my phone again, and didn't restore from a backup (to minimize the amount of installed apps), and it still has this behavior.

Has anyone else out there noticed similar behavior? Or have any idea what could be causing it?

Thanks ! **** is driving me crazy.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I have a Lumia Icon and I've been struggling with this issue for the past few months. I had hoped that with the official 8.1.1/Denim release it would be fixed. However, even after a reflash with the official Denim ROM, it still does the same thing.

I'm still trying to figure out what it is exactly, but it SEEMS like apps that require location information, such as weather (blue skies, weather flow), as well as the step counter in MSN health stop updating 18-24 hours after the phone has been restarted . They work as expected up till that point, updating approximately every hour, then they just stop (unless the app is launched and the tile is manually refreshed). Not only that, but they stop at the same time. And again, not all of them - I don't believe this is a general issue with background tasks on my phone since most of the live tile apps continue to work, such as nextgen reader and my system uptime tile.

My only idea is that maybe I have too many apps hitting the location services, but I recently reset my phone again, and didn't restore from a backup (to minimize the amount of installed apps), and it still has this behavior.

Has anyone else out there noticed similar behavior? Or have any idea what could be causing it?

Thanks ! **** is driving me crazy.

This may be related to the number of tiles you have pinned, and (or) the number of apps (among those that are pinned) that can automatically update in the background. How many have you pinned? How may can run in the background?

This happened to my L1020 (especially a certain weather app (a good one!)) which had 50+ apps pinned to the start screen. This has not yet happened with my L535, which also has the same weather app, but with less apps pinned. My L535 came with Denim when I bought it, while my L1020 had* Cyan... but I remember decreasing the number of apps pinned to my start screen seemed to resolve the issue.

*- It's still in the service center.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I had wondered that, as I remember hearing of similar issues cropping up with too many tiles in WP7. But I thought that they had to be LIVE tiles with background tasks. I do have a lot of apps pinned (in folders), but the majority aren't live tiles.

The thing that makes me assume it's not the amount of tiles or background tasks is because it just seems to affect a few apps, not all of them, and all of them work for about an entire day. I just unpinned a bunch of the apps (mostly games folder), so I'll see if that makes a difference. I've already tried limiting the background tasks to what I actually use, which isn't a whole lot, I'd guess around 10.

Thanks for your help

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmahrsh137