Switching to WP, can I get some help on choosing a handset, old vs new, windows 10 compatibility etc?

rhysd2

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Switching to WP, some help on choosing a handset please, old vs new, windows 10 compatibility etc

Hello all

Finally had enough with the horrible UI changes on android and decided to come back to WP. I tried it waaaay back in the beginning of WP7 and looking forward to seeing how far the OS has come.

Got most apps worked out just need to find a podcast and tv show listing (ie what episodes have aired when etc) app but already looking at several that look like they do what I need.

Moving all my photos and files over to One Drive, and tidying up my emails ready for the migration over also. Should be done within a day or two.

But I'm struggling to choose a handset! There are just so many out there it seems. A vast array of budget to flagship models so I'm finding it confusing to work out which is current, which is old, and which suits me. Let me help on narrowing it down. I'm aiming to get a screen around the 4.7 to 5 inch mark with a semi decent rear facing camera for quick pictures when needed but other than that I've little preference. I've been looking at the 930 830 and new 640 (with a current leaning towards the 640 or 930 as the 640 and 830 seem very similar) but was also wondering if there's any mileage in older models such as the 1520 (yes large screen I know but good camera and I don't mind the extra screen real estate) or the 1020.

My main concern with the older handsets is will they get windows 10. What ever handset I get I'm looking to get I'd like to be able to get 10 as I also plan to get a surface pro or other windows tablet/convertible laptop and really throw myself into the eco system, so it'd be nice to be able to have that unified platform coming with 10. So are older models like the 920 925 1020 etc likely to get 10? I've googled but the responses seem a bit ambiguous and a bit speculative.

And if I do with a newer model how much of a difference is there between the models from 640 upwards? Is it purely the camera? or are there other benefits worth bearing in mind?

Sorry to leave this so open ended don't want to start a argument over which handset is best but struggling to tell one model from the other currently.

thanks in advance

Rhys

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Switching to WP, some help on choosing a handset please, old vs new, windows 10 compatibility et

To clear some important doubts first, yes the older phones will get Windows 10 (features may wary depending on hardware). Secondly if you're okay with the 5 inch screen estate then the 640, 830 and 930 are your options from lower to high end. The 830 falls in between with an excellent combination of power and premium features (I own it). If you're okay with no glance then 930 is your best bet, but it has some screen flickering, heating and battery life issues. The 640 is the cheapest to try to out Windows phone with all premium features minus wireless charging and the PureView camera tech. The 830 gets the most of it, you can get a new RM-984 these days for$300 off contact from eBay.

If you can manage phablet devices then it's a no brainer, the 1520 it is. Do keep in mind each device comes with its own share of issues, check the deducted bugs and and defects thread for more info.

bhavya26

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Switching to WP, some help on choosing a handset please, old vs new, windows 10 compatibility et

All windows 8 handsets are going to get windows 10
Now better go for Lumia 640 xl if you have a low budget and if you can afford go lumia 930 it is anyday better

rhysd2

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site

To clear some important doubts first, yes the older phones will get Windows 10 (features may wary depending on hardware). Secondly if you're okay with the 5 inch screen estate then the 640, 830 and 930 are your options from lower to high end. The 830 falls in between with an excellent combination of power and premium features (I own it). If you're okay with no glance then 930 is your best bet, but it has some screen flickering, heating and battery life issues. The 640 is the cheapest to try to out Windows phone with all premium features minus wireless charging and the PureView camera tech. The 830 gets the most of it, you can get a new RM-984 these days for$300 off contact from eBay.

If you can manage phablet devices then it's a no brainer, the 1520 it is. Do keep in mind each device comes with its own share of issues, check the deducted bugs and and defects thread for more info.

Great tip on the bugs or issues thread thank you. If all phones are getting 10 the 1020 may get a serious look then as the super camera appeals to me, is it a huge difference compared to the 930? Likewise will seriously look at the 1520 now also but these seem less common on eBay here.

Glance isn't a deal breaker but I would prefer to have it.

What does pure view do and is it worth going for a higher model just for pure view?

bhavya26

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Great tip on the bugs or issues thread thank you. If all phones are getting 10 the 1020 may get a serious look then as the super camera appeals to me, is it a huge difference compared to the 930? Likewise will seriously look at the 1520 now also but these seem less common on eBay here.

Glance isn't a deal breaker but I would prefer to have it.

What does pure view do and is it worth going for a higher model just for pure view?

Pureview does make a difference
Pureview tech gives better low ligt images as well has optical image stabilisation to reduce hand shakes
Dont go for 1020 as the hardware is pretty old and yes its a huge difference compared to 930 except for camera wjere 1020 excels
If you want a camera phone then wait for 1020 successor and see what microsoft has up its sleeve

rhysd2

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Bhavya 26

Just been doing more reading on pureview. Sounds like a 830 930 or at a push a 1020 might be my best way to go but think I'm going to aim for a 830. Thanks all been a great help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria