First time WP user, what phone should I get?

ravenskman1

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm new to WPCentral, though I have been lurking because of my SP3. I've been over at Crackberry for the last few years and love me BlackBerry Z10 (you guys should give it a try, simply as tech enthusiasts).

Anyways, I was thinking about buying a WP just for the fun of trying a new phone.

I was hoping you guys could help advise me on what phone to look at to balance the following features:

- Reasonable price (a phone to try a new OS not necessarily be a daily driver)

- Want quality performance as to not hamper my experience (not a spec chase as can be seen from me still using my Z10, as long as the phone works well I'll be happy)

- A phone that is supposed to get the WP10 upgrade (so I'm not wasting my time on an OS that is being replaced) Also, I'd like to try out the integration between my SP3 and this phone when Win10 comes out.

Oh and I'm on AT&T in case anyone needs to know.

Anyway thanks in advance!

Michael Tillman

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I love the Lumia 830. It's a bit pricey but an awesome user experience. The 635 was ok but a bit laggy. The difference between the 635 that I used in the fall and my 830 are night and day. Get the 830 if you could splurge a bit. If not then wait for the 640!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 925 still gets mad respect from me as a GREAT all around phone and a smooth experience. If you get a gently used one it should really not cost more than budget phone money at this point. It will get Windows 10 - all Lumias will.

If you don't care about Sensor Core frills like a step counter this could very well be the phone for you. Buy Nokia Lumia 925 (AT&T) in US > Swappa

If you want something a bit more up to date... How about the 640XL which is coming soon to AT&T. Great Value if you want to drop a bit more $$$. Microsoft Lumia 640 XL ? AT&T

ravenskman1

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Awesome! Thanks for all the help guys!

From what I can tell the 640 seems like the one that will work best for me. The XL is just a little too big for my liking, though its a shame that they lowered the cameras in the non XL version.

I'm not a huge fan of the blue or orange ones, do we know if the black or white ones will be more matte rather than shinny (toy like) plastic?

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Going from memory, I think the non-XL 640s are all glossy.

What is your budget for trying out a Windows Phone? I have an 830 as a secondary phone, and I love the capabilities, design, and features. And the matte finish would suit your tastes.

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Just got some serious time in on a BB Classic. I must say, BB10 is a whole lot nicer than Windows Phone, overall. Really just a lot more powerful.

It is not so ascetically pleasing as WP, but Windows 10 is looking pretty rank, so far, so I'm not too sure that advantage will last.

Anyway, if all you want is a taste, I recommend the 635. It can be had for like $30 brand new and works pretty well (a tad laggy, but very functional overall).

ravenskman1

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Just got some serious time in on a BB Classic. I must say, BB10 is a whole lot nicer than Windows Phone, overall. Really just a lot more powerful.

It is not so ascetically pleasing as WP, but Windows 10 is looking pretty rank, so far, so I'm not too sure that advantage will last.

Anyway, if all you want is a taste, I recommend the 635. It can be had for like $30 brand new and works pretty well (a tad laggy, but very functional overall).

Glad you gave the Classic a try, I haven't gotten a chance to try the classic or the passport yet but they both seem to be getting good reviews from everyone willing to give them a try! If only people didn't have the old circa 2007 image of BB stuck in their mind, maybe more people would at least take a look.

the 830 is starting to look more and more like the most value for the price. Near flagship phone for a bit cheaper than other models. Now just to wait a little longer to have the price drop a little more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon