Switch to new / another SD Card

Atul Kale

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, I've been using 8.1 for a while now and SD card support has improved on WP8.1. Apps and Photos / Media can be configured to directly be installed / saved to SD card. From storage sense we can also move an app from Phone to SD card and vice versa.

However there is one problem that I face even today that if I have to upgrade / replace my SD card with a new or another one a mere copy backup of files to computer 💻 and back to the new SD card doesn't help. While photos etc. are copied without issues, content like Music (which has user rights / certificates associated with them) are not reusable.

Apps can be moved to Phone for that while (provided you have that much of space on the phone) and moved back when the new SD card is available. Or as the last resort they can be downloaded and installed again from the store as the store thankfully maintains our ownership / purchase history.

Unfortunately the same is not possible with Music 🎶 content downloaded from Music / Xbox 🎮. Store. In most cases we all get a time span after the purchase of new mobile, within which we download plenty of music from Music / Xbox store. After this period we cannot unless we pay more explicitly.

So in case of an event where my SD card has gone corrupt or I simply have to upgrade it, I cannot just copy paste it to new SD card, coz this copying doesn't copy the music rights.

I searched for an option everywhere for a solution which can "migrate" from old to new card, but I didn't find any.

Please do let me know how best this problem can be resolved.

Regards,
Atul

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, I've been using 8.1 for a while now and SD card support has improved on WP8.1. Apps and Photos / Media can be configured to directly be installed / saved to SD card. From storage sense we can also move an app from Phone to SD card and vice versa.

However there is one problem that I face even today that if I have to upgrade / replace my SD card with a new or another one a mere copy backup of files to computer �� and back to the new SD card doesn't help. While photos etc. are copied without issues, content like Music (which has user rights / certificates associated with them) are not reusable.

Apps can be moved to Phone for that while (provided you have that much of space on the phone) and moved back when the new SD card is available. Or as the last resort they can be downloaded and installed again from the store as the store thankfully maintains our ownership / purchase history.

Unfortunately the same is not possible with Music �� content downloaded from Music / Xbox ��. Store. In most cases we all get a time span after the purchase of new mobile, within which we download plenty of music from Music / Xbox store. After this period we cannot unless we pay more explicitly.

So in case of an event where my SD card has gone corrupt or I simply have to upgrade it, I cannot just copy paste it to new SD card, coz this copying doesn't copy the music rights.

I searched for an option everywhere for a solution which can "migrate" from old to new card, but I didn't find any.

Please do let me know how best this problem can be resolved.

Regards,
Atul

As far as from my experience i have never been able to copy DRM content.Try it another sd card on another phone and see if it gets copied.Its not an issue with the SD CARD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium