Why aren't all of my Live tiles updating?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

All Live tiles not updating

Hello everyone,

Recently, all my live tiles (weather, windows central, battery and others) have stopped updating. With the windows central live tile, I normally use to see the latest article and a value of unseen articles, but now it only updates when I switch on the app.

I have not changed any of my settings. I have checked everything and the settings allow the updates.

I have no idea what's wrong. Anyone going through something similar or know how to fix it?

Aziz Abdurachman

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: All Live tiles not updating

You can check battery saver, if it's always on, nothing will run in background or updating tile. Or you don't allow it to run in background battery saver app.
If it still not updating try to restart or soft reset (powe + volume down for 10 sec).
If it still not updating try to open each app, after opening (and closing) the tile should be updated. Then restart again. (If in case it's still not, then your phone have a problem.)

Darren Yeats

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site

This is my approach, based on educated guesses:
  1. I think it's better to enable all live tile-related settings for every pinned app with a live tile, and to disable all live tile-related settings for every non-pinned app*.
    • For every app not pinned*:
      • Disable live tiles from within the app, as possible.
      • Ensure the app is set to "off" in Setting > notifications+actions (disabling notifications also disables live tile in 8.1 at least)
      • In Battery saver, click on the app and set 'Allow app to run in the background' to "off".
      Go through every app and check, it will take a while but you only have to do it once. (And if you don't need an app, I think it's better just to remove it.)
    • For every app with a live tile pinned, do the opposite of the above, enable everything in all the settings discussed above. (BTW if notifications are bothering you, you can at least turn off toasts and vibration in notifications+actions, but I advise not setting to "off" entirely for an app with a pinned live tile.)
  2. I suspect some apps have a problem with location services. E.g. I found Weather app works better when pinning a specific town/city from within the app (not the overall app). Note location services within Weather is switched on and this itself causes me no issue, but I still think it helps that the tile doesn't have to use location services (because I pinned a specific town).
  3. It seems one app having a problem with live tiles can affect other apps. If you can't get an app to update its live tile properly, be aware that it might affect others. Try 1-2 to fix. If you can't fix it, be aware, and if it causes issues elsewhere then unpin the problem app* and disable the app in all the settings discussed above (or, remove the problem app).
* A few apps have tiles that are not live at the small setting. I would count these as non-live tiles i.e. unpinned in terms of the advice above. But it's safer actually to unpin whilst experimenting.

KR, Darren

Last edited:

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Windows Phone has had a bug since WP7 that if you install over a certain number of apps with the ABILITY to run in the background, it doesn't even need to be enabled, ALL live tiles stop working. Try uninstalling some apps that show up in battery saver. This may not be your issue, but I've hit it on every version of the platform so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett