At a crossroads, does anyone know of ANY ruggedized or at least water resistant handsets coming???

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm contemplating leaving Windows Phone, NOT because of Windows Phone itself.
PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE COMMENTS BASHING WINDOWS PHONE OS.

My issue is NOT with the OS. Rather, I am looking for a handset that is more in line with my lifestyle than the conservative Windows Phone ones that are out there now. Very few of them are ruggedized or can withstand much water. I'm also looking for something with a larger battery.
As far as a ruggedized handset goes, WP has some, but those are not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for something like the Samsung S5 Active or the S6 Active when it comes out. Heck, I've seen things about how resilient the plain S5 is and wouldn't be opposed to that level either. I bike alot and like to throw the phone in my jersey and not have to worry about sweating it to death (I corroded several BB's this way). Right now, I put my phone in a ziploc bag and call it good.

Right now, I'm looking at Motorola's new Droid Turbo. Seems to have SOME water resistance and a huge battery. Also, seems to run a stock version of Droid, free of much of the bloat that others have. I've read some reviews however that the battery isn't everything they say it is.

I do a lot of backcountry navigating and run GPS a lot. I use it as a check to my main GPS but find that more and more, it is becoming my go-to device. With my WP, I can get a solid 12-16 hours on a charge if I go into airplane mode. My WP allows me to go into airplane mode and still have GPS running.

Does anyone know of anything coming down the pike that might fit this requirement running WP?

Thanks in advance.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There's been no rumours of a IP rated phone of any sort for WP. There was a drawing (very rough) someone posted on a 'flagship' thread showing a phone in the water so no idea of the validity of that.

If you want an IP rated phone why not look at Sony Z3? It's almost vanilla Android, IP68 rated and has an amazing battery life.

I'm hoping MS or some OEM releases a good IP rated phone and other features.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That Sony is definitely a contender! Thanks! Looking into it now. Too bad they don't have a WP version. :-(

Sony is the number one OEM on request. Unfortunately probably not going to happen unless MS releases a ROM for Android phones.

I own the Sony and so does someone else I know. We're both happy with it. It's a beautiful phone.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Before buying a Sony handset, go visit there official mobile forum & see if the amount of people complaining about poor build quality, software bugs & lack of any decent customer service back up puts you of.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a Sony Xperia Z1s on T-Mobile.
2 months ago I dropped it face down into a wheelbarrow with about six inches of rinse water from pouring cement.

I thought it would come out with a cracked screen...nope.
After I removed the case and rinsed it under hose water no damage.

I do have the screen covered in tempered glass however.

Maybe Panasonic will pop up with a ruggedized Microsoft handset one day...

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Ah, sorry... it was a punt. They used to do some good looking phones. I remember they did a waterproof one a while ago. They pulled out of UK market, so my knowledge of them isn't great.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for the advice.

I'm on Verizon. Wondering if the lack of GG is really a showstopper. The Dragontail glass is supposed to be just as hard. Of course the Z4 is coming out in Sept. Sigh...

Will check out the user forums. Thanks!

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
There is a rugged Android that is made by a Caterpillar or JCB. There is another company, I forget their name, I think it begins with S. Plenty of Android options.

I really hope that a company brings out a WP flavour, particularly as rugged phones tend to sacrifice some specs, for ruggedness. Which seems like a great fit for WP, given that they are not resource hogs. You could always start Tweeting Gabe et al, you never know.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm contemplating leaving Windows Phone, NOT because of Windows Phone itself.
PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE COMMENTS BASHING WINDOWS PHONE OS.

My issue is NOT with the OS. Rather, I am looking for a handset that is more in line with my lifestyle than the conservative Windows Phone ones that are out there now. Very few of them are ruggedized or can withstand much water. I'm also looking for something with a larger battery.
As far as a ruggedized handset goes, WP has some, but those are not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for something like the Samsung S5 Active or the S6 Active when it comes out. Heck, I've seen things about how resilient the plain S5 is and wouldn't be opposed to that level either. I bike alot and like to throw the phone in my jersey and not have to worry about sweating it to death (I corroded several BB's this way). Right now, I put my phone in a ziploc bag and call it good.

Right now, I'm looking at Motorola's new Droid Turbo. Seems to have SOME water resistance and a huge battery. Also, seems to run a stock version of Droid, free of much of the bloat that others have. I've read some reviews however that the battery isn't everything they say it is.

1) I do a lot of backcountry navigating and run GPS a lot. I use it as a check to my main GPS but find that more and more, it is becoming my go-to device.

2) With my WP, I can get a solid 12-16 hours on a charge if I go into airplane mode.

3) My WP allows me to go into airplane mode and still have GPS running.

4) Does anyone know of anything coming down the pike that might fit this requirement running WP?

Thanks in advance.

1, 2, 3 - similar experiences with android, in airplane mode. i track long rides (12-15 hours) and don't have a problem with getting a full days use out of it this way.

4 no, there are no rugged wp devices. the only device currently is a rumored WP version of the kyocera duraforce. it was featured in wpc's headlines a week or two ago, but only a rumor so far.

once you use a rugged phone while backpacking/hiking/enduro/whatever, you'll never go back to non rugged. my experince is this anyway :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3