Why is it still so hard to use Windows Phone (esp with Office)?

Crispy

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
After a lot of research and thinking, I decided to buy a Lumia 1320 for my dad as his first smartphone. The reasons were I thought it'd be simple to use and he already uses Office a lot and doesn't need many apps. Got a 1320 because I wanted a large screen for him and the 1520 is too much money.

I though the setup would be easy. The phone was bought unlocked from Amazon, brand new. It came with Black, and I don't see any updates to either Cyan or Denim, even though the MS Lumia update page says it should be available for the phone.

Next i tried to setup Office. I signed in with this outlook.com account, which shows up as 'Microsoft account'. We use Office 365 in our family and I thought it'd be integrated. But it wasn't. The 'Office' tile has a 'your documents on Skydrive' section and a 'setup Office 365' opion. Clicking that just takes me to the account setup page, which is confusing in itself - why are there separate options for Microsoft/Hotmail account and Exchange/Outlook? Trying to add a Outlook account just adds a 'Outlook 2' and Office 364 is *still* not integrated into Office.

There's no 'Office 365' app. I installed OneDrive from the store but it made me sign in again instead of using the MS credentials on the phone.

I'm not impressed. On top of that I'm not certain that this phone will get timely updates, since Microsoft releases iOS and Android updates earlier for most of its apps.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the Lumia Software Recovery Tool would be best, to kick it all the way to the most recent update, because a lot is being missed out otherwise.

Office 365 I believe is a separate account. Did you add what the thing wanted to? or did you back out and try to add more Outlook accounts because I'm not sure I follow.

TBH I was came in here expecting someone who couldn't wrap their head around actually using the device with that thread title.
The phone will get timely updates, unless a carrier is involved, then all bets are off if its not an iPhone.

App development isn't OS development. they're separate teams I believe.

Crispy

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I've now signed in, I'll try to answer your questions.

Lumia Recovery - I'm guessing this is going to give me the update the OTA cannot find?
Office 365 - after adding the MS account, which is used for the Store as well, Office shows me the dcouments I used, but there's also a link to 'setup Office 365'. That just takes you to the 'add account' screen where I sign in with my Office 365 but it doesn't actually enable it and just adds another account called 'Outlook 2' with email only.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes