WP 8.1 Update 2

lumiadeb

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm with a Lumia 520 running wp 8.1 update 1 and Denim.I'm trying to install WP 8.1 update 2.So,I registered at Windows Insider and chose for the fast ring.My Lumia has started downloading an update already.My question is whether the update I'm receiving at present is WP 8.1 update 2,or it is Windows 10 for phone technical preview?Another question is what is the size of this update?

Rajat Malhotra

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm with a Lumia 520 running wp 8.1 update 1 and Denim.I'm trying to install WP 8.1 update 2.So,I registered at Windows Insider and chose for the fast ring.My Lumia has started downloading an update already.My question is whether the update I'm receiving at present is WP 8.1 update 2,or it is Windows 10 for phone technical preview?Another question is what is the size of this update?
Just tap on more info and check the build number

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When they are giving W10 as a "free update" what makes you thing they squashed "free update 2"?

Too many trying to get on GDR 2 with no intention of moving onto 10. GDR 2 will get it's own OTA when it passes testing. Microsoft does not want to deal with issues from users who are parking on an untested and unofficial GDR2.

It was ONLY ever meant to prep the phone to receive 10. It is not in any way the same as an official GDR2.

lumiadeb

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
You mean even if I think that the WP 8.1 update meets my needs fine and that the WP 10 for phones is at present too buggy to install on my only cellphone,I'll have to proceed to WP 10?Did you read that in some cases even the mobile data apn,and data facility is disappearing in some phones after upgrading to WP 10 for phones?Another thing,nobody answered my question whether the update I'm getting is WP 8.1 update 2 and what is the size of the update?anyone?please?

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
<500MB.
It'll be installing GDR2 and then pulling down a W104PTP build in the background. Probably.
But you've chosen a path covered in bricked 520's to install an update you don't want. And then there's the known bugs (some of which you've mentioned). You'll be left with a phone that's neither "in" not "out".

lumiadeb

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
<500MB.
It'll be installing GDR2 and then pulling down a W104PTP build in the background. Probably.
But you've chosen a path covered in bricked 520's to install an update you don't want. And then there's the known bugs (some of which you've mentioned). You'll be left with a phone that's neither "in" not "out".

So many thanks dear hotphil.With doubts in my mind,I tried downloading the update but it didn't download as I was using mobile data.Now that you provided me with such good and practical advice,how could I cancel the update downloading process?Because the PHONE UPDATE option is always showing AN UPDATE IS READY TO DOWNLOAD and the horizontal download process bar shows 0%.how to cancel it?hard reset?by the way,let me share why I was tempted by update 2.it was just for that new Feature of organizing the SETTINGS and pinning them to start screen.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
If you're willing to hard reset then why not download the update and see what it is? Just check the OS version after the download is complete. If it's Update 2 then install, if not then hard reset.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Well it was live for the Lumia 830 and the Rogers Lumia 920 variant as of yesterday

How would you know Update 2 is now available for the 830, Rogers ( CA-00) variant, you downloaded it on 04.11.2015 and on 04.14 you said this in regards that it's NOT available ?
Looks like Microsoft might have patched something in the last two days. I've a RM-985 US variant running the Rogers Denim ROM and it let me install Update 2 on Friday. Or it could be a Denim only thing?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
How would you know Update 2 is now available for the 830, Rogers ( CA-00) variant, you downloaded it on 04.11.2015 and on 04.14 you said this in regards that it's NOT available ?

The first time I tried on my 920 w/o Denim it didn't let me install Update 2 but after Denim it did. Similar case for my 830. My guess is folks who are on Denim and OS w/o PfD, they are able to install Update 2. Again this is just a guess. I've gone 2 times from stock Denim to Update 2 on my both 920 and 830.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
The first time I tried on my 920 w/o Denim it didn't let me install Update 2 but after Denim it did. Similar case for my 830. My guess is folks who are on Denim and OS w/o PfD, they are able to install Update 2. Again this is just a guess. I've gone 2 times from stock Denim to Update 2 on my both 920 and 830.
You installed Update 2 on your 830 on 04.011.2015 according to that post on the 830 forum. How would you know that it's available as of yesterday for the 830 if you installed it on your 830 13 days ago and then on 04. 14, you said MS plugged it. ? You're not making sense or your not very clear as to what you mean. How would you know it's available for the RM-985 CA-00 Variant NOW if you downloaded it 13 days ago ? ...OR who said they just downloaded it to the 830 as of yesterday ? And guessing is good advice for those who want Update 2 and not Win 10 ? No one except you says it's still available as far as I have read, I might have missed someone actually downloading Update 2 "recently" but I haven't read about anyone with an 830 who has- as of yesterday or even a week ago.. source ? -a guess is not a source :wink:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
You installed Update 2 on your 830 on 04.011.2015 according to that post on the 830 forum. How would you know that it's available as of yesterday for the 830 if you installed it on your 830 13 days ago and then on 04. 14, you said MS plugged it. ? You're not making sense or your not very clear as to what you mean. How would you know it's available for the RM-985 CA-00 Variant NOW if you downloaded it 13 days ago ? ...OR who said they just downloaded it to the 830 as of yesterday ? And guessing is good advice for those who want Update 2 and not Win 10 ? No one except you says it's still available as far as I have read, I might have missed someone actually downloading Update 2 "recently" but I haven't read about anyone with an 830 who has- as of yesterday or even a week ago.. source ? -a guess is not a source :wink:

Wow, do I have to post every time I flash back my device to Denim and Update to GDR2? What do you want me do? Show you photos with GDR2 running on my 830 (RM-985 000-US running Rogers RM-985 ROM) and 920 (RM-820 Rogers, CA running stock Denim + Update 2)? I like playing with ROMs (most regulars over here know about it already) and I updated both my phones to WP10TP try out the new OS build. Didn't like it so flashed them back to Denim and updated to Update 2. Both the phones were updated on Wednesday this week after 9:00 PM EST US. Now if you still don't believe it then I can't help you more on it. I actually have the 920 for sale in the market place which clearly says its running 8.1 Update 2. Now I don't want to lie on a sale especially when I am a regular over here.

Edit: BTW the plugging post was before I received Denim on my 920. After the update and a hard reset I was able to get Update 2, previously on Cyan + PfD OS v14219 I was directly prompted to install W10TP

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Wow, do I have to post every time I flash back my device to Denim and Update to GDR2? What do you want me do? Show you photos with GDR2 running on my 830 (RM-985 000-US running Rogers RM-985 ROM) and 920 (RM-820 Rogers, CA running stock Denim + Update 2)? I like playing with ROMs (most regulars over here know about it already) and I updated both my phones to WP10TP try out the new OS build. Didn't like it so flashed them back to Denim and updated to Update 2. Both the phones were updated on Wednesday this week after 9:00 PM EST US. Now if you still don't believe it then I can't help you more on it. I actually have the 920 for sale in the market place which clearly says its running 8.1 Update 2. Now I don't want to lie on a sale especially when I am a regular over here.

Edit: BTW the plugging post was before I received Denim on my 920. After the update and a hard reset I was able to get Update 2, previously on Cyan + PfD OS v14219 I was directly prompted to install W10TP

I'm talking about the 830 and UD2 & what you said about it being available as of "yesterday" and you have no proof that Update 2 is still being offered on Insider when everyone says it isn't. I know you have Update 2 I don't doubt that, but to say that it's available NOW ( "as of Yesterday" is still now) for the Lumia 830 RM-985 CA-00 is pure poppycock without proof when WC and others say it's no longer available - "show me the money" :wink:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking about the 830 and UD2 & what you said about it being available as of "yesterday" and you have no proof that Update 2 is still being offered on Insider when everyone says it isn't.
I never said yesterday (as of yesterday, i.e. Thursday), I said I updated on Wednesday. Please read my above post carefully.

I know you have Update 2 I don't doubt that, but to say that it's available for the Lumia 830 RM-985 CA-00 is pure poppycock...

And here is your proof...

20150425_182352107_i_OS.jpg
20150425_182401243_i_OS.jpg
20150425_182423801_i_OS.jpg

And this is all the proof I can show. If you still don't want to believe then don't. Good day!

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I never said yesterday (as of yesterday, i.e. Thursday), I said I updated on Wednesday. Please read my above post carefully.

And here is your proof...

View attachment 103155
View attachment 103156
View attachment 103157

And this is all the proof I can show. If you still don't want to believe then don't. Good day!

On Wednesday April 22 you said: "Well it was live for the Lumia 830 and the Rogers Lumia 920 variant as of yesterday" -which would mean it was available on Tuesday the 21st and it was NOT available. Even you said on 04. 013. 2015:
Looks like Microsoft might have patched something in the last two days. I've a RM-985 US variant running the Rogers Denim ROM and it let me install Update 2 on Friday. ( 04.10) Or it could be a Denim only thing?
It hasn't been available (for the 830) for at least 10 days and surely not "as of yesterday" meaning April 21st.

AND I never said:amaze: you didn't have it. I only said it's not available "as of yesterday" -said by you on April 22 which would have been the 21st. It hasn't been available for the 830 for at least since the 13 of April.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I might have spoken too soon in my comment earlier (and I'm referring to your quoted post) but I did flash and update my phones on Wednesday (both Rogers and one 000-CA RM-985). And I'm done justifying.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I might have spoken too soon in my comment earlier (and I'm referring to your quoted post) but I did flash and update my phones on Wednesday (both Rogers and one 000-CA RM-985). And I'm done justifying.

You should post a how to because Update 2 is said to be no longer available on Insider as of April 13. Thanks ahead of time for doing that :smile: I'm sure it won't be too hard since you've done it several times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro