First WP, help me decide! Lumia 640XL or Lumia 830?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi there, I've been using android for 5 years but I've never been able to afford a flagship or a high end phone since in my country (Mexico) they're wildly overpriced, and so, my experience with android has many times ended in a headache.
So I looked around and found these 2 WP to be great options, within my price range and my finalists for my switch to WP which are in my limited experience extremely stable and swift.
Thing is I can't decide between the 2 because, other than the size (which isn't something that I care too much about), they seem to share a lot of things and differ on others. Which one would you think would give a better long-term service? I would think the newest is a better option but I'm no expert... also something I value a lot is the camera, is a 13 MP sensor better than a 10 MP PureView one?

Andraz Podjaversek

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
As a 930 user, who's phone went to repair and got an 830 as a replacement till I get my phone back, I would definitely choose the 830. I think it has the best design of all windows phones. It feels every bit as premium as 930.

The camera on 640 has a tad bigger sensor and more megapixels, but I do believe the camera on 830 is of greater quality and is also optically stabilized which means it will probably outperform 640xl at the moment where conditions are not perfect. 830 photos are easily comparable even to the 930 - the differences get seen only when you zoom in.

Both phones uses the same screen panel, but the one 830 will look sharper because it is less stretched out at the same resolution.

About performance : They will both perform superb - yes my 930 renders web pages faster and loads some apps quicker, but in day to day performance I do not really notice the difference. I believe that camera opens even faster on 830 :). So my suggestion goes towards 830.

Last edited:

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
As a 930 user, who's phone went to repair and got an 830 as a replacement till I get the 930 back, I would definitely choose the 830. I think it has the best design in of all windows phones. It feels every bit as premium as 930, camera is superior despite being "only" 10mpx, has wireless charging, And the screen will look a little better on 830 in my opinion.

About performance : They will both perform superb - yes my 930 renders web pages faster and loads some apps quicker, but in day to day performance I do not really notice the difference. I believe that camera opens even faster on 830 :)
design wise I don't think the 830 is the best designed WP, I think that credit should go to the 925, but if I would choose between the 830 and the 640 xl then I would definitely go for the 830

Andraz Podjaversek

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
design wise I don't think the 830 is the best designed WP, I think that credit should go to the 925, but if I would choose between the 830 and the 640 xl then I would definitely go for the 830
I dont know man, my mother has 925 and I admit, while I had 920 the 925 was one of the most stunning phones at the time, but in comparison to 930 or 830 it looks really dated. Bezzels are enormous, otherwise both phones feel similar in hands with 830 being less slippery and having a little sharper edges.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro