Should I upgrade?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I dropped my Lumia 920 on my tile floor and cracked the screen. :( I'm looking to replace the phone and would like opinions. Should I stick with the 920? I really like it, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade. I can't tell from model numbers which are newer, because they're all over the map. Usually a higher number means a newer and better phone, but not so apparently because it looks like the newest one is the 640xl.
Would love to hear what you all think.
Thanks!
Jennifer

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If it helps, the first digit of the model number is like a series number, with the following digits indicating a model number. Thus, a 930 is newer than a 920 and in the same series. A 6-series phone is indeed newer, but 3 series "down" the pecking order.
That said, with the length of time between each model's release, any performance differences etc. blur the lines even more!

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
The newer models are 430/5, 530/5, 540, 640, 640xl, 730, 830, 930 the specs are consecutively. There are some possibilities that in June Microsoft may release a 940 and 940xl (which is equal 1520), so stay tuned!.

Jennifer Saks

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
How is the 1520? In looking at some of the newer models they don't seem to have as much RAM as others...that would be an issue for me. I don't play games, but do like to store photos and I listen to music, etc.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
How is the 1520? In looking at some of the newer models they don't seem to have as much RAM as others...that would be an issue for me. I don't play games, but do like to store photos and I listen to music, etc.
Lower RAM wouldn't be an issue so much if you're not a gamer. My 635 only has 512MB of RAM and while the camera is not top notch, handles things well such as music and most games. It's personal preferences. What's important to you? Size? Screen resolution? Camera performance? What's your budget? All personal decisions...

Jennifer Saks

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm almost convinced to stay with my 920 for now. It's got an excellent camera, good size, good RAM, etc. Just thought, since I have to replace it, I should figure out if any of the newer ones are better. I'm not convinced yet that they are--or at least not enough better to switch for now. Will be watching to see what Microsoft comes up with this summer, though.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

... then you're looking for more Memory / onboard Storage.

RAM (512MB, 1GB, 2GB) = Random Access Memory which allows your phone / PC / laptop to function better. It's where the computer / phone processes data (NOT the processor) the more you have, the more data (read into RAM) is made available to be processed - thus more efficient.

MEMORY (8GB, 16GB, 32GB, etc) = onboard storage, this is where your music / photos / videos are stored (a phone's hard drive). Micro SD cards add to this storage.

ROM = Read Only Memory, that's complicated

I've over-simplified for the non-techie, but ...
RAM, Memory as ref'd in phones can be confusing.

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm almost convinced to stay with my 920 for now. It's got an excellent camera, good size, good RAM, etc. Just thought, since I have to replace it, I should figure out if any of the newer ones are better. I'm not convinced yet that they are--or at least not enough better to switch for now. Will be watching to see what Microsoft comes up with this summer, though.

Try Lumia 1320 like mine. Pros are big screen for showing off, better for reading websites, cheaper than 1520, longer battery life (1.5 - 2 days Straight heavy usage), fast (1gb ram and 1.7ghz CPU), camera is decent but the cons is the camera in low light at night.

The storage is good, though the internal is only 8gb, I've put a 32gb SD card extention which is enough for my big games and music, movies, etc. I know you could put more as big as 128gb SD card.

640xl is good too but I don't think the battery life will be as this good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss