Can I get some help picking a new Windows phone?

TimnMelinda

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
help pick a new windows phone

Mom wanted to step up to a Smart phone.
Before Christmas, I got her an unlocked Lumia 920 .

My mother is very low tech, it has been a struggle getting her familiar with the phone (and I have it simplified, few apps etc) She has gotten upset more than once saying she is not smart enough for a smart phone, Thing is she has started to get it and was getting better, but phone started acting up which I have addressed in other posts. Phone has hardware issues and is going in repair. Should be covered under warranty.

At first I was thinking moms phone would not be covered with warranty repair Checking MS web site they pretty much said phone was old and not covered. Well then I decided to contact B & H where I purchased phone, found phone has a 1 year warranty, they issued a RMA and I am sending phone in for repair BUT it will be 6-8 weeks (or more) round trip they say. She cant go that long without a phone. I have to put her in a phone in the time her phone is in for repair.

So I was going to get her another phone, thinking maybe a 520 or a 535. As I started studying I saw I could get unlocked 920 for 170.00 to 180.00 BUT reading reviews I have seen many issues with these listed and of course the experience with hers.

Also seeing I can get unlocked 830 for 240 ish. I am pleased with the 830, it is what I use. Then of course there is the lower priced phones the 520, 535, and 635.

Part 2 is I got my 84 year old father a 635 at the same time mom got her 920.
He has done well, he occasionally holds it wrong and turns volume down while talking so next time he does not hear phone ring, he also gets frustrated when the touch screen gets stubborn and slow to respond but he likes the phone. He also does not use many apps, at least so far. His screen is cracked in the corner but phone still works.

So, I am thinking get something new for mom, get hers warranty repaired, and give her 920 to dad when it comes back to move him up from 635, seems like a plan!

But now the problem of deciding which phone to get mom!
I am arguing both sides, get her a lower priced model she does not use the features anyway so it will serve her well, But I am also thinking get her a higher model, she could learn more and they are nicer phones.

Help me out, talk to me, what way do you think I should go for mom/them? What should I purchase, what makes the most sense?

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: help pick a new windows phone

Mom wanted to step up to a Smart phone.
Before Christmas, I got her an unlocked Lumia 920 .

My mother is very low tech, it has been a struggle getting her familiar with the phone (and I have it simplified, few apps etc) She has gotten upset more than once saying she is not smart enough for a smart phone, Thing is she has started to get it and was getting better, but phone started acting up which I have addressed in other posts. Phone has hardware issues and is going in repair. Should be covered under warranty.

At first I was thinking moms phone would not be covered with warranty repair Checking MS web site they pretty much said phone was old and not covered. Well then I decided to contact B & H where I purchased phone, found phone has a 1 year warranty, they issued a RMA and I am sending phone in for repair BUT it will be 6-8 weeks (or more) round trip they say. She cant go that long without a phone. I have to put her in a phone in the time her phone is in for repair.

So I was going to get her another phone, thinking maybe a 520 or a 535. As I started studying I saw I could get unlocked 920 for 170.00 to 180.00 BUT reading reviews I have seen many issues with these listed and of course the experience with hers.

Also seeing I can get unlocked 830 for 240 ish. I am pleased with the 830, it is what I use. Then of course there is the lower priced phones the 520, 535, and 635.

Part 2 is I got my 84 year old father a 635 at the same time mom got her 920.
He has done well, he occasionally holds it wrong and turns volume down while talking so next time he does not hear phone ring, he also gets frustrated when the touch screen gets stubborn and slow to respond but he likes the phone. He also does not use many apps, at least so far. His screen is cracked in the corner but phone still works.

So, I am thinking get something new for mom, get hers warranty repaired, and give her 920 to dad when it comes back to move him up from 635, seems like a plan!

But now the problem of deciding which phone to get mom!
I am arguing both sides, get her a lower priced model she does not use the features anyway so it will serve her well, But I am also thinking get her a higher model, she could learn more and they are nicer phones.

Help me out, talk to me, what way do you think I should go for mom/them? What should I purchase, what makes the most sense?

get her a 535.Its good for people who are not into high tech stuff.Its good for an old person.Does basic taks very well and buy it unlocked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99