Why haven't I got the Windows 10 invite in task bar yet?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

why haven't i got win 10 invite in task bar yet

I have legal copy of win 7,have logged on and off a least a dozen times sine the 29th. Evan tried looking in setup at GWXTriggers it all looks right but clicking on run does nothing.
any ideas?

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: why haven't i got win 10 invite in task bar yet

Yes I got a Win 10 invite! I just purchased a brand new Lenovo Thinkstation P300 about a month ago and then this week it appear on my task bar with a small popup asking if I wanted Windows 10? I said "Yes" and to comfirm it Microsoft wanted my email!

BDABbnw65

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site

There were three updates today but no change no invite. Wondering if I should download from win insider but only running one machine right now.

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site

It might be a compatibility issue. I finally got mine to pop by forcing the task method. After I reserved there was a message saying my chipset may cause issues. Otherwise, you don't have the proper updates installed or not running a legitimate copy of Windows.

Vicky Rheza

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Did you already do something like using the methods suggested in above posts?

Because if you for example disable windows updates you will never get it.
And if you not indicate what you did we can not advice you what to do.

i did try it, but it seems that i had not yet have the 2 KB's for win 8.1.
and then i tried to do all the optional updates just now. maybe gonna try the notepad solution.

i'll let you know asap

btw 1 more question. i'm using 8.1 Single Language. is that a problem or is it fine and compatible?

Vicky Rheza

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Did you already do something like using the methods suggested in above posts?

Because if you for example disable windows updates you will never get it.
And if you not indicate what you did we can not advice you what to do.

Hi harrie, did you receive my PM? i got the result for the notepad config, but it seems it only run like 10 sec and the finish. did i do sth wrong? because the instruction was 10-30 mins of waiting.

Vicky Rheza

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
C:\Users\Aser\Desktop\test>ReserveWin10.cmd

C:\Users\Aser\Desktop\test>REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

C:\Users\Aser\Desktop\test>if "1" == "0" GOTO RunGWX

C:\Users\Aser\Desktop\test>reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVe
rsion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
The operation completed successfully.

C:\Users\Aser\Desktop\test>schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Exp
erience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
SUCCESS: Attempted to run the scheduled task "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Exp
erience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser".

C:\Users\Aser\Desktop\test>schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application E
xperience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

Folder: \Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience
TaskName Next Run Time Status
======================================== ====================== ===============
Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser 6/9/2015 12:03:13 AM Running

C:\Users\Aser\Desktop\test>schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application E
xperience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready

C:\Users\Aser\Desktop\test>if NOT "1" == "0" ping localhost 1>nul & goto :Com
patCheckRunning

xperience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

Folder: \Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience
TaskName Next Run Time Status
======================================== ====================== ===============
Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser 6/9/2015 1:22:10 AM Ready

xperience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready
Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser 6/9/2015 1:24:10 AM Ready

C:\Users\Aser\Desktop\test>if NOT "0" == "0" ping localhost 1>nul & goto :Com
patCheckRunning

C:\Users\Aser\Desktop\test>schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refre
shgwxconfig"
SUCCESS: Attempted to run the scheduled task "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refre
shgwxconfig".

that is what i got from running the notepad configuration and it seems doesn't loopy like others and it only takes like 10 sec. does anyone get the same reaction? any suggestion?

if the lines above doesn't clear enough, i can post the ss of my cmd

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

Looks like you may not have the required KBs installed. Do a Windows Update, reboot, do another update check, etc until it comes up with no updates. Then run the KB check command again. Once both show up, the ReserveWin10.cmd batch file should work for you.

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site

Vicky,

(Assuming all updates are installed and the updater is set to auto install) Try this method...

From the Control Panel click on Administrative Tools. Then click on Task Scheduler. Now, expand the Task Scheduler Library folder...expand the Microsoft folder...expand the Windows folder...scroll down to the Setup folder and expand it as well.

Now, click on the 'gwx' folder. With this folder selected you should see the Actions pane on the right hand side. Click on 'Run' under the Selected Item section.

If that doesn't activate it, try the same method on the 'GWXTriggers' folder.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Things to keep in mind. The app is hard coded for now not to allow domain joined computers to run the application. The program runs a windows 10 compatibility appraiser and if for some reason an item is flagged as breaking the windows 10 installation the task bar application will also not run. (Have seen this with a few mad cards)
Microsofts stance with this is to wait. More drivers are added and updated as we get closer to release and this may work by then.
Keep in mind that the only thing you are doing with the reservation is authorizing Microsoft to predownload the release version prior to launch. You will still be able to download windows 10 through windows update once release gets here if you don't use the reservation app.

Ps. The get windows x app is also located in the event viewer under (applications and services)-(Microsoft)-(Windows)-(GWX-Ins)-(Operational)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshi