Is a case problematic with a Lumia 930?

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Should gaming be possible for a Lumia 930 when plugged in? And is a case not furthering the heating problems?
My phone got hot, I would call it extremely, while it had a case on it. ( I removed the case as I could feel it through it and wanted to check if I am right.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes you can game while charging.
Yes a case will furthering the heating problems because it acts as a isolator so holding the heat.
And if your phone gets to hot it will warn you that it's becoming to hot and will shut down.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
So, there can be no harm from overheating? That is my only concern. High-end devices seem generally to become really hot.

I would not put it like that. But there is an overheat protection on the phone. (I got it ones when I took a video in 4K and after about 15 minutes it stopped recording due to "overheating".
So in that sense there is a protection.

And I do not know if it is general true that high end phones always become hot but if you play games on highest settings they indeed become very hot.

But heat reduces also the battery live and stresses all components. So keeping the phone always very hot will (at least) not prolong the live of a phone.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I just wondered why someone builds a phone with so much power that it is unable to use its full potential.

I just played the endless runner Sonic Dash while my Lumia 930 was plugged-in and it had its case on and it got very hot; because I know that heat should be avoided, I stopped playing and let it cool down.
Now, I am unsure if that is normal or if my device is malfunctioning.

The battery is not the best and playing while plugged-in would be a way to keep the phone ready to go, but if it keeps heating so much, I doubt it. (I will try it again without a case)

I read complaints about iPhones which became very hot too, and about some other Lumias and that is why I assumed that some high-end devices become very hot.

Last edited:

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I tried again to play while it was plugged-in, this time without a protective case and it did again become very hot at the lower half especially at the aluminium frame but from the middle on up to the top it becomes just warm.

The heat on the lower frame feels a bit pungent as if I could get burned but it is simply hot and I do not get actually burned, it just feels so the first instant I touch it.
I guess no one invented a phone cooler yet.

Is there a way for the normal user to measure the heat? I want to make sure if this is all normal or if I should issue a refund or a replacement.

I already did a hard reset like some advised but I cannot see that it is better now; I backed up my settings and restored them after the reset: was that maybe wrong? Should I have used the option to start new from the scratch?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokul Dm