[L730] Used for an internet router for desktop?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you mean turn on WiFi on the phone and get that to go over USB to the PC. No.

Windows Phone will only use your cell plan internet and share it out as WiFi to other devices. It can not share a WiFi signal and it does not tether via USB.

If you mean something different, please join the site and reply below in more detail.

sudiprm

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
No , I mean like a lap top which has its in built WiFi , and when internet sharing is turned on Lumia 730 ( that is it become a broadcaster), the lap top searches for available hot spots and connects to Lumia 730 and internet on laptop is on.

Desktop Pc on the other hand do not have a Wifi. However, if a wifi router it connected to the desktop, can this be bridged to lumia 730 and then lumia acts as an internet modem for desktop PC thru wifi router.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Here is what I did for that same situation. I purchased a wireless bridge. I plugged the bridge directly into my desktop via the LAN cable in order to give it the information on how to connect to the phone's Wi-Fi hotspot. I then plug the bridge via the lan cable from the bridge to the router's WAN port, and the bridge, by accessing my phone's internet sharing, will now become the internet that the Wireless Router sees. A LAN cable is then used to plug into the router, and all other wireless laptops or whatever can share the Router Wi-Fi, which is actually being pulled from the phone's internet sharing.

If this is confusing, I'll provide specific product details and a diagram in a follow up post. Currently, I'm on my way out, so didn't have time to get fancy yet. I'll check back later after I get back home.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
No , I mean like a lap top which has its in built WiFi , and when internet sharing is turned on Lumia 730 ( that is it become a broadcaster), the lap top searches for available hot spots and connects to Lumia 730 and internet on laptop is on.

Desktop Pc on the other hand do not have a Wifi. However, if a wifi router it connected to the desktop, can this be bridged to lumia 730 and then lumia acts as an internet modem for desktop PC thru wifi router.

I guess it's not about what the 730 can do but about what your "wifi router" can do. Can you elaborate more about this wifi router?
If what you mean is a Wi-Fi dongle then yes your desktop PC will see the hotspot created by 730, if what you mean is a Wi-Fi Router/Access Point, I don't think so since most Wi-Fi Access Point is a broadcaster, unless your Wi-Fi router has advanced functions to receive internet connection from it's wireless antenna and then bridge it thru LAN cable to your computer. I'm not sure since my Wi-Fi Router can't do that and can only convert LAN to Wi-Fi not the other way around,

sudiprm

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I think my wireless wifi router is only broadcaster (TP-Link TL-WR740N Wireless Router). I do not have dongle.However , i am able to bridge the Lumia . Pl advise which wireless wifi dongle plugged to desktop will be able to connect to lumia 730 hotspot. Will "802.11N Mini Wireless N 11n Wi-Fi Nano USB Wi-Fi Adapter Dongle WiFi" work ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tribalforcexupdate