How many columns/rows of tiles can you fit on an W10 start screen?

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, wondering if anyone could help.

I have a touch-enabled desktop PC with a display size of 23 inches. As such, I like using the Start screen on 8.1 with touch, and desktop with mouse and keyboard, it's a combo that works very well for me. I hope that the same sort of experience carries over with Windows 10, but I haven't seen too much of the Continuum/full-screen Start yet in order to tell.

I've been wondering how many big columns of live tiles you can fit on a W10 start screen, for columns that are 3 medium tiles across and for columns that are 4 medium tiles across? I presume these numbers will be the same with a Start menu (instead of a screen) as well?

Additionally, will this vary depending on how big your screen size is recognised by Windows to be? For example, will a small tablet only be able to fit two columns yet my larger display be able to fit four? This kinda happens at the moment with 8.1 - I can fit 6 rows of tiles going downwards whereas smaller laptops can only fit 4.

Thank you for any help.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, wondering if anyone could help.

I have a touch-enabled desktop PC with a display size of 23 inches. As such, I like using the Start screen on 8.1 with touch, and desktop with mouse and keyboard, it's a combo that works very well for me. I hope that the same sort of experience carries over with Windows 10, but I haven't seen too much of the Continuum/full-screen Start yet in order to tell.

I've been wondering how many big columns of live tiles you can fit on a W10 start screen, for columns that are 3 medium tiles across and for columns that are 4 medium tiles across? I presume these numbers will be the same with a Start menu (instead of a screen) as well?

Additionally, will this vary depending on how big your screen size is recognised by Windows to be? For example, will a small tablet only be able to fit two columns yet my larger display be able to fit four? This kinda happens at the moment with 8.1 - I can fit 6 rows of tiles going downwards whereas smaller laptops can only fit 4.

Thank you for any help.

I'm assuming your monitor is 1080p? My primary desktop (with a 23" 1080p monitor) is just installing 10130 at the moment, I'll get back to you on that. Did you want the number of tiles you can fit vertically for the Start Screen and horizontally for the Start menu?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Here's what it looks like on mine at 1920x1200.
10130-start.png

If I click the hamburger, everything slides over and I see the same stuff you normally see on the left when it's not full screen.

The big empty space in the middle is where RSAT tools used to be.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply guys, but thanks so much for taking the time to help me out, massively appreciated! My display is indeed 1080p.

Good to hear/see that the new Start menu can hold many more tiles than what I normally see in screenshots, the Start experience is one thing I was worried about when it comes to upgrading from 8.1, but knowing I can make it much more like what I'm used to is really reassuring.

Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos